• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Live Paint Bucket/Edges

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read this article about the Live Paint tool, but I still don't understand how to paint paths? It's not working on my project.

I want to modify the color of the lines in this igloo church but can't figure how.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/live-paint-groups.html

Could someone help? Thank you! 

Capture d’écran 2020-04-18 à 19.59.47.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to double click the Live Paint Bucket tool in the Toolbar and check the "Paint Strokes" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use the Live Paint tool all the time. 

Here you can see examples.

https://kennshinabery.myportfolio.com/digital-artwork-and-character-design

What I do is after I create the lines to a character (yes, I mostly do characters), I expand the lines.  Then put everything into one group and then duplicate the group.  I then keep the top group as a safety and lock it (I also usualy name this layer line art).  Then the bottom group... I create Live Paint.  Usually I turn off all the colors while selected.  I then click off.  Select the Live Paint fill tool and choose a color.  Then I fill in the areas.

After I rename the bottom group 'Color' and lock it.  Then between the 'line art' group (top group) and the 'color' group (bottom group), I create new layers.   In these layers I create the highlights and shadows.

So with your image.  Expand all the lines for the church. Place them in one group.  Then duplicate it.  Rename one layer 'safety', lock it and hide it.  This will be something safe.  The other layer rename it 'color lines' (or something like that).  Select the entire group.  Then go to Make Live Paint.  Now you can fill the lines with different colors or a gradient.  Do not fill the shapes... just the lines.

I always make a safety layer in case I mess something up.  If you notice my Snow White Project ( https://kennshinabery.myportfolio.com/not-your-average-princess-digital-vol-1 ),  the lines are a little darker than the fill color.  Granted I make the lines the specific colors from the beginning.  But for what I do it is nice to have control over the colors of the lines.  Theoretically, I could have given the lines a gradient as well.  But as you can see there are so many cool things you can do with Live Paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines