• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locked Layers are moving with Artboards

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the latest update for CC, and I'm having a problem with what appears to be a changed feature.

I work with a lot of artboards in Illustrator. Sometimes I have to move or duplicate artboards while I'm working. Typically, if there is a graphic element I didn't want to move with the artboard, I would just lock its layer. The unlocked elements move with my artboard, the locked layers stay where they are.

NOW, anytime I move an artboard, even layers that are locked will move with the artboard. Even if I hide the AND lock the layer, the elements on that layer will still move.

This is wasting a lot of my time. Is there an option I can change to keep elements on a locked layer where they are when I move an artboard? Why would they make it so a locked layer moves. That's the whole point of locking a layer!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

That is a new feature that people have been asking for.

Please make requests for changes here:

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a new feature that people have been asking for.

Please make requests for changes here:

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very frustrating. Locked should mean locked. If you want an element to move with your artboard...then unlock that layer! Why are they making specific exceptions to how a tool works. This should be a feature you can turn on or off.

My whole company has to change how they set up print production files now. And the workaround is A LOT more work. And if you realize you have to move an artboard, then we have to remake our entire file. You can't just move that artboard a little bit. It moves EVERYTHING instead of just the elements you want to move.

Is it possible to turn this feature on and off? Or is this the only way it works now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You can't turn that off without turning off the moving of elements completely.

Please use http://illustrator.uservoice.com - ther people can vote for your request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you turn the moving feature off completely? Even making object invisible is still allowing them to move when I move my artboard. I would, at this point, be okay turning off the feature that is set to move ANY object with my artboard all together as a work around. As long as I can turn that feature off and on. Would you please advise where to find it (on a PC) Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 2.38.58 PM.png

The highlighted icon on the right with the circle over a square with vertical/horizontal translate arrows is the toggle for that.

Man, I need something between. Hope they add the option back in cuz this makes storyboarding take 3x as long...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you davek28257496 , this is an extremely frustrating, unnecessary, and counter-intuitive change to a tool that was fine before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found an answer to having the art move with artboards, as locking layers no longer does this. When you select the 'artboard' tool, you will see an option under the new properties tab on the right that says 'move art with artboard'. You will see it checked. You can un-check it, move your boards, and move your art how you please afterwords. This has helped me a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Is there something I can reference when I request this change?

This is EXTREMELY frustrating. I know how to turn off the "move art with artboard" feature. But in the past I used to be able to move some of the art. Now I'm moving ALL art. I'm moving invisible art. I'm moving locked art.

Incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actully i am not geting to post my problem I am a new user of adobe community so i want help..

Firstly A lots of thanks to all and  I have a problem that when I copy gradeint property with eye dropper tool illustrator enexpectedly closed and Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.32.06 AM.png please any one can resolve the problem... and can guide to me how to post my problems proper way.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/muhammad+suhails97718988  schrieb

Actully i am not geting to post my problem I am a new user of adobe community so i want help..

Firstly A lots of thanks to all and  I have a problem that when I copy gradeint property with eye dropper tool illustrator enexpectedly closed and Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.32.06 AM.png please any one can resolve the problem... and can guide to me how to post my problems proper way.

Thanks!

Please create a new thread on the user forum for your problem. This thread is about a different version AND a different issue. Please refer to this: Getting Started on the Adobe Forums

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WE CAN TOGGLE THIS FEATURE ON & OFF!

Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display > [checkbox] Move Locked and Hidden artwork with art board.

By Default, All Assets should be moved with the Artboard. Layers are Relative to the Artboard and other Assets on the Artboard, its not very useful to keep locked layers sticked to "X & Y" Position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I actually like having this feature toggled ON.

Adobe:

I am also glad this can be toggled ON/OFF, for those who work better with it off :).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines