Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locked Layers Keep Moving

Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 2021, MacOS, Catalina ....

I have a solid color background layer with about 100+ groups of fine lines in front of it. While trying to adjust the position of the layer above the bg, sometimes I will accidentally select the bg layer... so, I did the logical thing and LOCKED that layer. Fixed! Nope... it still moves. It's only "locked" if you actually select it from the layer panel - then it it's all "Sorry, we can't touch this layer - we only move this layer when you DON'T want it moved -Annoyingly yours, Adobe"

If a layer can still move with a lock on it, what's the point? A locked layer should NEVER move - there's a reason people chose to use them and it's not because they want them to move. If I wanted the layer to move, I'd unlock it. If users want it to do something illogical, like moving while locked, they need to opt-in - that should never be default behavior.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past there had been quite a lot of discussions about that point at issue. It often turned out that there are many arguments to allow that behaviour in nested contructions and many arguments to disallow it at the same time.

I always tended to say that it is often pretty useful to have the ability to move locked sub items in nested layer or group constructions, but I do understand that it may be not desired in many cases as well.

A setting in the Illustrator preferences (absolute lock versus relative lock) would be welcome, but it is not there at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come your path is not in a layer but outdented and by itself. should look like this.

MikeGondek_1-1621468541372.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He's cropped out all the layers above...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me this may be a bug related to an issue I've just run into...

If a sublayer is locked but the primary layer is not, all layers can be selected and transformed (etc).  The only way I can find around this is to move the layers I need locked to their own layer, which defeats the purpose of locking sublayers.

Help! 😞

Illustrator 25.3.1

Big Sur 11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: So it appears the issue is actually Objects within a Group which will not lock (though marked as such) whereas Ungrouped Objects do remain locked. Very confusing, and I suspect this is a bug. Or am I not understanding the point of locking objects in a group?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES!!! WTF ADOBE!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines