• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locking vector shapes, but maintaining movability

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to lock a vector shape that I have made in Illustrator? For example, I have drawn a triangle. I want to now lock that triangle so that when I am clicking around on it and moving it in my window it's path is not changed, but it's orientation can be. Is this possible and how does one do it? Thank you! 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

You might want to use the group selection tool. I find it a great way to navigate around and move things while not redrawing anything. But in answer to your question, there is no way to lock the actual drawing without locking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

It is not possible to lock a shape and have the ability to move it at the same time. It must be unlocked before you can move it or change its orientation.

If you want to lock the shape you can do that by selecting it and choosing Object > Lock > Selection. You can also lock and unlock objects using the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Generally it is not possible to move locked objects, but if you really want to make things complicated, put the locked object on its own artboard. You can move artboards with locked objects if you have enabled it in the Preferences > Move Locked and Hidden Artwork with Artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to use the group selection tool. I find it a great way to navigate around and move things while not redrawing anything. But in answer to your question, there is no way to lock the actual drawing without locking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to lock a shape and have the ability to move it at the same time. It must be unlocked before you can move it or change its orientation.

If you want to lock the shape you can do that by selecting it and choosing Object > Lock > Selection. You can also lock and unlock objects using the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Generally it is not possible to move locked objects, but if you really want to make things complicated, put the locked object on its own artboard. You can move artboards with locked objects if you have enabled it in the Preferences > Move Locked and Hidden Artwork with Artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines