Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Logo tips and tricks

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Hope you are well. I am in the process of designing a logo, and require some guidance please. I have seen online, multiple examples of the golden ratio circles being used to create complex and/or simple logo emblems. However, when it comes to mine, I am unsure as to how I should approach it. 

Attached is an example of the tutorials that are online, demonstrating how these logos are created from a multitude of circles. Also attached is part of my design. From the offset, it looks fine. However, it needs major refining done to it, to make it more smooth and rounded, which is why I thought I would try this new technique using the 'shape builder' tool. 

I understnad this is a big and broad question, but what im asking is, where do my circles and lines go, so when using the shape builder, it allows for the desired result.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please do just forget the Golden Ratio, Golden Spiral, Golden whatever. It's snake oil. It won't make your design better.

As for using basic shapes for construction: that is a good thing.

But of course you might need to adjust them, or add elements that are not just basic shapes in order to get better curves. If it can be achieved by using a part of a circle, then good, go head with the circle. But if it doesn't work out, then you have to adjust the curve. You can start off with the circle a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Steve,

When you look at a tutorial/other learning material/famous logos/whatever: remember that others have, too; the more you rely on things like that, the more likely you can be to create something ununique.

And remember that the logo is a way to express you in the way you wish others to see you and what you can/wish to offer, so there is no need to prove that you can perform some intricate geometry unless that is relevant.

Over the decades, some helpers here (including some with the mos

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do just forget the Golden Ratio, Golden Spiral, Golden whatever. It's snake oil. It won't make your design better.

As for using basic shapes for construction: that is a good thing.

But of course you might need to adjust them, or add elements that are not just basic shapes in order to get better curves. If it can be achieved by using a part of a circle, then good, go head with the circle. But if it doesn't work out, then you have to adjust the curve. You can start off with the circle and edit the path. You can still use the shapebuilder tool to combine the shapes later.

Those thin ends in your design are just too thin. You will have to adjust them to make them look better (and work better in production).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback and guidance, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

When you look at a tutorial/other learning material/famous logos/whatever: remember that others have, too; the more you rely on things like that, the more likely you can be to create something ununique.

And remember that the logo is a way to express you in the way you wish others to see you and what you can/wish to offer, so there is no need to prove that you can perform some intricate geometry unless that is relevant.

Over the decades, some helpers here (including some with the most profound skills, also in intricate geometry) have suggested sketches on a piece of paper to start with and to build the whole concept, in black and white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you also, for your feedback and guidance, also much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines