• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for best way to alter an uploaded circle frame (adjust weight and add gold effect)

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I am pretty stuck at the moment in trying to figure out how to make a very specifc type of circle frame in illustrator. I have attached an image of the pattern of the frame, However I need to make it less thick so that it is not a very obvious or prominent (I am using this element as part of a logo) , I also would like to give it a gold effect coloring rather than have it be a solid color. Does anybody know the best way to go about doing this? Can I upload it to illustrator and make these type of edits that way? I am fairly new to this platform but am eager to learn 🙂 Thanks in adanve for your help!! GK Circle.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

You can draw a segment of your pattern and create a new pattern brush from it. You then Expand Appearance and add the metallic effect to the ring.

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.04.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.14.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

katkats,

You can use the rectangle tool, then cut out the middle part of the bottom long side, then copy and rotate the copy by 180 degrees and move it downwards as desired, then cut the whole long side to split the copy, then reflect each half and move the two halves apart as desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can draw a segment of your pattern and create a new pattern brush from it. You then Expand Appearance and add the metallic effect to the ring.

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.04.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.14.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want your gold effect to look more like this:

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.30.00 PM.png

Create a wide plain stroke with the gradient you want, place it under your ring and use the Transparency pallet to apply the color to your pattern. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.30.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.30.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one more question, can I use the rectangle tool to draw this shape? Will it still allow that metallic effect? Because when i use the line tool or draw tool it does this weird thing where it combines all of the lines together 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

katkats,

You can use the rectangle tool, then cut out the middle part of the bottom long side, then copy and rotate the copy by 180 degrees and move it downwards as desired, then cut the whole long side to split the copy, then reflect each half and move the two halves apart as desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked! thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, katkats.

I wondered whether it was woolly in the right way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

katkats,

I believe you will like the pattern brush,

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=pattern+brush+illustrator&scope=%5B%22helpx%22%5D&subs...

Edit: Hi Susan, 45 seconds ahead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both!!! This really helped me out! 🙂 I hope you have a lovely week

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines