Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low quality with "Export for screens - jpg 100" in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been noticing that the export quality for the JPG 100 files in the "Export for screens" tool is really poor compared to the "Save for Web (Legacy)". I have updated my Illustrator to the last version (2020) but the problem persists. Rasterized text and diagonal lines are specially blurry and jaggy.

Is there any way to solve this? I have a document with lots of artboards and it is such a waste of time having to export them one by one with the Save for Web option just because the Export for screens is not working properly...

I have attached a comparison between the two JPGs exported:

lowQualityExportScreens02.jpg

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I think it has something to do with the way "Export to screens" is exporting pixel images, as you see in the attached photo, in the "Export for Screens" the "1 gold medal" and the "MichaelBP" are both vector graphics (shapes and text without rasterization) and they look fine, but the "2 silver medal" "3 bronze medal", avatars, names, flags, "Guaranteed Prizes" and all other jaggy elements are part of a screenshot (a pixel image).

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Export for screens, you can increese the res. and scale as you want, so you will have best quality.

you can choose scale 4x for example, it will sacle the size 4 times and res. as well.

also you can choose best res. you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I have tried exporting the screen with more resolution (300 ppi) and with more size (4x) and it looks significantly better in both (although when you zoom in to 100% you can see they are still jaggy compared to the other vector elements), the problem is that I need these images to have particular dimensions and with this workaround the exported images are much bigger, so I would have to open each of them and rescale them again, being too much work if you have many artworks as I do in this document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not checked the anti-aliasing option - "Art optimized" for JPG100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I have checked the settings and I had "Art optimized" for JPG 100 by default.

This are the exact settings I am using to export the images:

settings.jpg

Although I have tried another combinations as well (checking Embed ICC profile, changing the compression method to Baseline (standard) and to None, changing the anti-aliasing to Type Optimized (Hinted) and to None) and I can't see any difference, it looks jaggy no matter which one I'm using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Illustrator incorrectly imported settings from previous version. Try saving other export settings (e.g. Type optimized), export JPG and then return to the correct settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!
I tried to do that but nothing changed. I also tried to create a new document, put the image inside, rotate it -25º and export it (just in case the other illustrator document was corrupted) but the problem persists: It is being exported jaggy with "Export for screen" and correct with "Save for web"(both with the "art optimized" option checked).

I have attached here the image just in case some of you want to give it a try, but it is actually happening to me with any rotated jpg image that I import to illustrator. It seems like the "Export for screen" tool is not applying the Anti-aliasing correctly. 

I have also seen that in the settings of "Export for screen" there is an "info" button saying that "Text anti-aliasing settings will not be honored", maybe this have something to do with what is happening but I have no idea of what that means or how to fix it.

EDIT: I have seen that "Export for Screens > PNG" works fine (with "art optimized" checked), but it also has de info button with the same text, so I guess it doesn't have much to do with why the anti-aliasing is not working with JPG 100.textantialiasing.jpg

ImageLeague02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have the same problem here. I ended up saving png and using Automator to batch convert. 

Did you find any solution to the problem?

thank you,

vasilis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Export for screens" in general has quite a few flaws and still has a lot of room for improvement. The quality of JPG files is even worse than "export for web" and generates much larger files. I recommend not to use it for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

would it have something to do with the document raster settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines