• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LTR and RTL Paragraph Directions in Illustrator's Paragraph panel are Missing.

Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying out Adobe Illustrator CC for some days to design and layout Arabic related Books and Panaflexes. But I have come across with a very strange problem that in previous version of my Adobe Illustrator CS6's Pragraph panel there had to be two buttons named "Left-to-Right Paragraph Direction and "Right-to-Left Paragraph Direction", but now in the new CC version they both are disappeared. I have gone through to preference-Type options but have no avail. Please help me. The last one (RTL Para Direction) is must for Arabic family Languages (Urdu, Pashto, Persian etc). I have searced for MENA, but there is no Mena in CC family. I also have searched in Adobe forums but there is no neat and clean answer. If this problem exists I and those who are Middle Eastren will have to go back to the previous version. Strangely these two buttons (Options) are available in Photoshop CC and Indesign CC (and they both are not MENAs).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

there was someone else on here with the same issue.

when you install illustrator cc, there is an option to select english/arabic as the installation language. then you will have all the arabic options. this apparently doesn't work for the guy that posted the problem, but it still works for me. i have switched back and forth for a couple of projects by just reinstalling over my existing installation.

you can also turn on 'show indic options' in the preferences under "type". you then select middle

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need the MENA version to do what you want to accomplish.

But using InDesign might be a better idea for alyout anyway. AFAIK it can also do RTL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there was someone else on here with the same issue.

when you install illustrator cc, there is an option to select english/arabic as the installation language. then you will have all the arabic options. this apparently doesn't work for the guy that posted the problem, but it still works for me. i have switched back and forth for a couple of projects by just reinstalling over my existing installation.

you can also turn on 'show indic options' in the preferences under "type". you then select middle eastern composer from the paragrph options menu. that will not give you any extra buttons, but your text will display correctly. and you wont have any options for kashidas or diacritics tho. which really sucks. but then if you do install the arabic version then you lose all asian type settings. that's why i've had to reinstall a couple of times because i get chinese and middle eastern projects.

you can also save paragraph and character styles in you older arabic version and use those to update new text. you can save those styles in your default documents so they are always ready to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much Thanks for you mec_os and Monika Gause. By uninstalling Illustrator CC and then during the re-installation by choosing the language in the Option step as Arabic (English یدعم العربی), Now there are all the options I required. I am enjoying CC.

Thanks You Again. May Allah bless you both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, AbdullahK

For my small part, you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Monika Gause and  mec_os.

I have also done the same and finally got what I really needed

reinstallation with the selection of (English یدعم العربی), in language selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

i want to view this icons

i just update illustrator to cc 2015.3

text-direction.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[GD] Hassan Noor schrieb:

Hello

i want to view this icons

i just update illustrator to cc 2015.3

text-direction.png

Do you have an Arabic or Hebrew version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think all new versions already have Arabic in it..

just choose English يدعم العربية

but when i install the program this choice does not appear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think all new versions already have Arabic in it..

just choose English يدعم العربية

You need to select that in the Creative Cloud app as the install language before installing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks that's right

i did that again and install illustrator cc (2015.3)

but the same thing ... how to view this icons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i download the program from this link

Download Creative Cloud apps

so where i can download MENA version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot you posted initially is from InDesign. I don't know if Illustrator even has these buttons.

This is from the manual:

Arabic and Hebrew type in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No this is Illustrator cc 2015.3 not InDesign

and all older versions of Illustrator has these buttons

View1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

text-direction.png

This panel is InDesign. Not Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK

this panel is from illustrator cc 2014

and all older versions of illustrator has these buttons

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there, did you find an answer?? Illustrator doesn't seem to have those buttons since 2015.3 not even 2017, because of Installation method.

I'm using CC 2015 right now, but doesn't adobe wanna support paragraph direction in Illustrator anymore??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you know how to solve it. because i have also same issue. before i did. Now again i upgrade, but now i lost. Now i forgot how i make make last time. can you please assist me.

thank you

Amy_Wong​Debbie​Woojin​clawson​mghalpin​Jochem van Dieten​azilaga​@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also having the same issue - there isn't any paragraph direction in Illustrator. Even in InDesign I don't have the paragraph buttons anymore for the latest versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines