• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

maintain a high resolution in Illustrator

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I take my scanned in art from Photoshop at 600dpi and put it in Illustrator, add text and other images, it turns into about 54 dpi. How do I maintain a high resolution for print? Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you adding the image to Illustrator (embedded, linked)? Are you scaling the image at all? If you enlarge it, you will lose resolution. It's best to place and use it at 100% of original scanned size or smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am placing the file, do not enlarge it. It comes in the same size. I add text and place a smaller(in actual dimension) image on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the resolution appearing to be lower only on screen, only when printing or both? What image dimensions (in inches) is the image in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, how are you "putting" it into Illustrator? File/Place?

Then check the Effects Menu/Document Raster Effects Settings.

How do you know the resolution in Illustrator? Are you resizing the scanned art at all? Illustrator will resample based on image size and resolution, so enlarging it will drop the PPI/DPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked the effects, and it said it was 72ppi. I changed it to 300ppi, but it doesn't seem to sharpen anything. It still looks very blurry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you click on the placed object, the option bar at the top of the document should show you the active resolution of the object. What size is your Photoshop file and Illustrator document?

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 2.40.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just checked the effects, and it said it was 72ppi. I changed it to 300ppi, but it doesn't seem to sharpen anything. It still looks very blurry.

Raster effect resolution is for effects like Gaussian Blur. It has no effect on embedded/linked raster images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nicoles97719641 wrote:

...it turns into about 54 dpi.

How did you determine that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines