Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make a half circle to match width/height of full circle

Participant ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

With this project, I want to know how to make the black rectangle match the exact dimensions of the circle so that it looks like a small portion of the circle is black.

test 2.png

Just like this picture -Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 8.26.15 AM.png

Thank you!!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

kirbydoo,

As I (mis)understand it, you can create a copy of the original circle beneath the coloured parts and above the black rectangle, then ShiftSelect the black rectangle and Ctrl/Cmd+7 to make a Clipping Mask.

The black rectangle could have been made as large as the dark grey one forming the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use

1. the Pathfinder Panel or
  2. the ShapeBuilder Tool or
  3. Live Paint Tool.

Please use it for your own designs / labels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I can assure you that I am only making these images for personal use. They look much better on on my phone/computer screen than the low-quality scans you can find on other sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kirbydoo,

As I (mis)understand it, you can create a copy of the original circle beneath the coloured parts and above the black rectangle, then ShiftSelect the black rectangle and Ctrl/Cmd+7 to make a Clipping Mask.

The black rectangle could have been made as large as the dark grey one forming the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jacob. That's actually what I ended up doing. I also did a little bit of adjusting to the half circle to get it to fit 100% into the larger circle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, kirbydoo.

May I ask which way you came from the full original circle to the partial coloured one (since adjustment became needed)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had to invert the colors of each circle. I made the orange circle black and the black circle orange. This was because when I would apply the clipping mask, the half circle would become orange. Once that was decided, I placed the half circle over the larger one and switched the colors back. For some reason, the half circle didn't quite fit in the larger one, so I had to adjust its position on the x axis because I kept seeing part of the orange circle around the black circle's edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

kirbydoo,

It sounds as if you placed the copy circle above the orange one rather than beneath it (you can see the stacking order in the Layers palette); and I wonder whether one of them has a thin stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines