Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make A Pattern only show Complete Tiles

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Firstly, I'm sorry if i made any mistakes in this discussion, I don't post to forums often, but I've been trying to find an answer forever so I figured I'd give this a shot.

In Illustrator, I'm working on a fantasy map for a project, and I'm using patterns and the blob brush to add in the small details (in this case trees to indicate a forested area) that would take forever by hand, but my problem is that I have to go back through and erase/add to parts of the object the pattern is applied to because there's often only half or a quarter of a tree will be present around the edges, and so I have to go through fixing the edges, which, while faster than doing it by hand, still takes quite a long time. I tried making a brush to do it, but I need them to be upright and at least somewhat uniform, which I couldn't get to work with a brush

Main Point: I was wondering (hoping) if there is a way to make it so that only a full Tile of a pattern is shown, and no tiles that are cut off half way through are visible

Again, sorry if I've done anything I shouldn't have, or if this is an incredibly dumb question, and I've been using Illustrator less than a week and don't quite understand everything yet

before fixing by hand, with trees cut off along the edges

before.PNG

After fixing (and a bit of sculpting to make the forest look more realistic) (no trees cut off)

After.PNG

After2.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

I am afraid that the only thing you can do is to manually adjust the shape.

Add to the shape with the Blob brush, subtract with the Eraser.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid that the only thing you can do is to manually adjust the shape.

Add to the shape with the Blob brush, subtract with the Eraser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can suggest you to make a pattern and adjust shape edges or you can make a symbol from three and use Symbol Tool for distributing them , resizing and coloring with that tools.

How to create and edit patterns in Illustrator

Symbolism tools and symbol sets in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for your patterns: Are the stems and the foliage made of stroked paths or filled paths?

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are filled paths, and I'm using CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite sure if the trick I had in mind would work in Illustrator CS 6, but since you obviously consider your request as "correctly answered" I won't make the effort to verify it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! I know this is an ancient thread, but I'm desperate for any way to achieve complete tiles without having to manually adjust paths, if you're still around / willing to divulge. Using Illustrator CC 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines