Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

making an SVG with transparent background

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have created hundreds of SVG files in photoshop for use in app design but have been told that I need to re-do them as illustrator SVH files.

When I place the image as either Jpeg, SVG or photoshop file into illustrator the background is filled with white, when I actually need an objec t with a transparent ground to act as an icon within the UX.

Without manually creating paths for all these'icons' is there a batch process way I can create SVg images with transparent backgrounds, preferably as a batch process?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers [expanded], Control Bar, …) visible of one of the Photoshop-created svgs opened in Illustrator? 

And the svg itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating SVG files in Photoshop defeats the purpose of SVG, Scalable Vector Graphics. Vector graphics are scalable while photoshop files will show their pixels when scaled up.

Exporting from Photoshop as SVG (which can contain bitmaps) should give a transparent background if there was one in Photoshop.

Did you turn on View > Show Transparency Grid in Illustrator?

And just placing the bitmap SVG files in Illustrator does not make them vector SVG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Creating SVG files in Photoshop defeats the purpose of SVG, Scalable Vector Graphics.«

If the creator thought ahead and used Shape Layers, Type Layers and Vector Masks there may be usable vector data in the svg, though it may indeed be interspersed with pixel data. 

Seeing one of the actual svgs might take a lot of guesswork out of the issue … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are correct, there is hope. 

We can see if an SVG file will be shared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines