Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making bands of color

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1875.jpg

I apologize for having taken a photo of this. It was the quickest way that I found to show it here. I am new to Illustrator and am teaching myself as I go. I was wanting to move this as it has words above it. Since they are attached, I can't select it and move it, so I am starting again. What I would like to know is if there is an easier way to make the orange band in the middle of the text? I made it in green and then made it in orange and made the band out of the orange one and then put it on top of the green. The problem is that I can't get the orange on the text (not the numbers) to match up, so I am wanting to know if I can make bands of color on the original so they match up? I hope this makes sense. Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Create green/orange/green rectangles and group them.

Select them with the text on top and choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 22.50.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

I would suggest making a green rectangle larger than the numbers with a shorter orange rectangle over the top of it.

Copy your text object and paste it on top of the two rectangles (Edit > Paste in Front).

Select the type and the two rectangles with your Selection tool and go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

This will use the Type object to Mask the two rectangles.

Hope this helps!

See screenshops below.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.54.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.54.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create green/orange/green rectangles and group them.

Select them with the text on top and choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 22.50.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest making a green rectangle larger than the numbers with a shorter orange rectangle over the top of it.

Copy your text object and paste it on top of the two rectangles (Edit > Paste in Front).

Select the type and the two rectangles with your Selection tool and go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

This will use the Type object to Mask the two rectangles.

Hope this helps!

See screenshops below.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.54.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.54.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with Jeff! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I agree totally with Ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are one big happy community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

speedartist,

And then there is the silly way if you wish to keep it as a single live/editable Type object only (with the benefit of exact band proportions, yours look like 27/46/27, maybe intended to be 25/50/25):

1) Select the Type (with the Selection Tool) and change the Fill to None (Toolbox), then in the Appearance palette Add New Fill and (with that selected) set it to a gradient (Toolbox), then in the Gradient palette set the Linear Gradinet angle to 90 degrees, then:

2) Set the colour at both end stops to the green colour and set two new stops at the desired colour switches; for each just click somewhere off and insert the value (for easy proportions/percentages like quarters (25% and 75%) just insert 25 and 75, for more tricky proportions like thirds (33 1/3% and 66 2/3%) insert the corresponding divisions (100/3 and 200/3));

3) To make the hard transitions to orange, for each just click somewhere off in the middle and insert the value equalling that in 2), then change the colour to the orange.

This will be determined by the height from bottommost to topmost, so if you work with Type that has ascenders and descenders and/or upper/lowercase and wish to have the proportions relative to the x-height or something, you will have to adapt the proportions.

Thank you for your taking a photo; and for your using the Insert Photos button (attaching only gives a link which will have to be followed to see anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jacob too!

Actually that was the way I wanted to describe in the first place, but when I reread that it was a question from a beginner, I thought the other solution was easier to describe.

But it is good to have an alternative solution documented by Jacob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You (too) have described that way often enough, Ton, so I came to think of it as the dirty job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so much for your help! I have worked mostly with Photoshop since I am an artist and photographer. I wanted to start making graphics, so I have started trying to learn by tutorials and online lessons. This one was something that I couldn't find anything on that would take you all the way through. I really appreciate the help and will go through each for the learning. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear we could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, speedartist.

I for one hope that you will report your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines