• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making "Show Rulers," "Show Grid," and "Snap To Grid" the default view in CS3...

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I make the Show Rulers, Show Grid, and Snap To Grid the default view for artboards in new documents in Illustrator CS3?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

That version had New document profiles.

You find them in your user folder.

https://www.vektorgarten.de/illustrator-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version too old to remember how some features worked and have changed.

Would saving a file as a Template, would work? Give a try, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ha... small bit of progress! The Templates seem to save the grid and ruler settings. Except there doesn't seem to be a "default.ait" template that applies to generc blank new documents. Any idea where I have to save it and what I have to name it? THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That version had New document profiles.

You find them in your user folder.

https://www.vektorgarten.de/illustrator-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the New Document profiles, but they don't seem to store the grid and ruler settings. 😞 Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turns out you were right. I was looking at text file New Document profile definitions, NOT the .ai files stored here:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings\New Document Profiles

Once I got the right files in the right place, creating a new file with, say, "Basic CMYK" opened up a blank doc with rulers, grids, and snap to grid! YAY!! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an old version so I'm not entirly certain but...I think you just need to save the workspace with them active. I could be wrong though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the workspaces, but they don't seem to store the grid and ruler settings. 😞 Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BINGO!! I found them! They're not the text file New Document profiles I was looking at. They're .ai files stored here:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings\New Document Profiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines