• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking and dividing issues

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to prep some art for screen printing and it has an American flag in the mask and I cannot use the pathfinder tool without the flag popping up. I am trying to just get rid of the eccess parts of the flag that don't appear in the object. It was suggested on Reddit to convert it to a compound path but I keep getting the error "Can't make a compound path. A compound path cannot combine a clipping mask with an ordinary path."

I have also tried expanding. The second image is a screenshot of what happens when I expand it.

Side note: it is already converted to outlines.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want to use pathfinder for here exactly? Isn't the clipping mask already doing what you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I don't know why they recommended me using the pathfinder tool either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to just get rid of the eccess parts of the flag that don't appear in the object.

From your screen shots, the flag is not vector, it's an image. Pathfinder is not going to work on a raster image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flag was a vector but I had to rasterize it because I can't add a white stroke to it, it just adds the stroke to the vectored flag rather than the outside of the text. 

kristinaf47077461_2-1598554245263.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I just figured it out. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kristina,

Would you mind sharing the solution here? It could help other users too.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines