• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masters in Illustrator just as in InDesign ?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm working on a book with InDesign, in which I would like to add vectorial illustration of different species of mushrooms. Each species has a similar shape but different colors. I would like to create a master in Illustrator and then create as many files as species thanks to that master. This is already possible using models. But the purpose is to be able to change something in every illustration simply by changing the shape of the master instead of changing every illustration one after the other... In a word, it would work just as master pages do in InDesign.

Do you know whether it is possible or not ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

It's possible that freeform gradients don't work in dynamic symbols. Both of them are slightly peculiar to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the only changes would be colours, then dynamic symbols would work for that 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I am afraid this feature is not available in Illustrator, however, as suggested above you may use Symbols

Here is video tutorial by Tony himself (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-82_kmT0NY).

Let us know if this helps or if you have any further questions. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers ! It may indeed do the job. I'm going to watch a few tutorials and I'm coming back if I still have questions about the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit : I do have questions...

If I draw the basic shape and save it as a dynamic symbol, then use it in many different files (one file for each mushroom species), then :
- how should I proceed to modify the symbol ?

- will the modification apply to every file I created ?

- if the master symbol has layers, is it possible to import them into the file at the same time (which makes it easier to select parts of the symbole or to hide some) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symbols do not work across files.

How important is it, that the different "species" stay linked to the master? Do you need a functionality where you change the master and the copies follow?

And can we please see something? Examples?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course.

Here are three examples : 

https://www.casimages.com/i/20081511305552523.png.html

https://www.casimages.com/i/200815113055237932.png.html

https://www.casimages.com/i/200815113057885322.png.html

As you can see, the global shape is the same, but the are different colors and ornamentation on the mushroom's stipe.

I would like to :
- create a master with the global shape and every possible types of ornamentations.

- apply the master shape when I create each file (one for each species)
- be able to modify the master shape and have modifications automaticaly reproduced in every file related to the original master (that's what master pages do in InDesign).
Do you think it's possible with the Dynamic Symbol feature or with another feature ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic symbols are your only chance to get even close to what you want.

But you would need to stay in one file. InDesigns master pages also do only work in the same file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Then, do you think I could use multiple artboards a bit like there are multiple pages in InDesign ? This way, I would create a single dynamic symbol, create one artboard for each species, and modify colors and patterns afterwards, one artboard after the other : am I correct ?

Another question is about layers : when I create a dynamic symbol, I can create layers to organize the different parts of the mushroom. Yet, when I insert the symbol on a blank page, I can no longer select ou hide shapes using the Layer panel : the symbol is now a single object in a single layer. Is there a way to change this or is clicking the only way to select a part of the symbol ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the use of artboards as pages: yes. It might make sense to create a main layer for each of the artboards as well.

As for hiding single parts of a dynamic symbol: you would have to set its stroke and/or fill to none in order to hide it.

You might want to test this approach on some of the designs before you go for all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you : it may indeed be a solution.

One more question : I'm testing gradients but I can't create a freeform gradient in a shape inserted using dynamic symbol... Is it normal ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's possible that freeform gradients don't work in dynamic symbols. Both of them are slightly peculiar to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines