Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

measure the length of a path in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working in laser cut and very often I need to know how long is the path I'm going to print with the machine. It is very useful to know the length (and the area) of each path directly while you're designing in Illustrator.

How I could get this informations in Illustrator CS6?

Thanks everybody

Michele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Length of path.

Select the path.

Window > Document Information > -drop down menu- Object

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michele,

In newer versions you can find the path length in the Info or Document Info palette/panel (I think, I cannot remember which).

Or you can find it in the secret debugging palette (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12 or Cmd+Option+Shift+F12).

Or you can use something like the free Pathllegth or Patharea filter available here:

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/browse/Filters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Useful! Thank you very much.

For info :

- It is in "Info Document" panel, choosing "Object" in the options.

- Actually filters "Path Area" and "Path length" are not available in Illustrator CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, and thank you for the added knowledge, Michele. I will try to remember the location.

Obviously, the filters are unneeded, but do you mean that the telegraphic filters cannot be downloaded and used in CS6?

I should be sorry to hear that because some of them are still highly relevant, even in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debug panel doesn't exist in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you, Scott. I will try to remember that, too.

Does that mean that all the information is elsewhere, or is some of it lost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Telegraphics plug-ins on CS6 but they does'nt work. Tried to write to the developer's team unsuccesfully; according to some forums, it seems right now it doesn't exist any option to let them work on CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Michele.

That is a pity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Area & Length are standard properties of a pathItem in script… So you could still get them…

alert( app.activeDocument.selection[0].area );

alert( app.activeDocument.selection[0].length );

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Any way to chain the requests into a single alert instead of two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry G. Schneider wrote: Any way to chain the requests into a single alert instead of two?

alert("Area & Length\nArea: " + app.activeDocument.selection[0].area + "\nLength: " + app.activeDocument.selection[0].length);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks W_J_T.

I added the divisor 5184 for area and 72 for length to force the output to inches.

alert("Area & Length\nArea: " + app.activeDocument.selection[0].area/5184 + "\nLength: " + app.activeDocument.selection[0].length/72);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call Larry, nice work. You could also add some rounding to restrict the number of decimal places if desired, the two examples below restrict to 3 places.

alert("Area & Length\nArea: " + Math.round((app.activeDocument.selection[0].area/5184)*1000)/1000 + "\nLength: " + Math.round((app.activeDocument.selection[0].length/72)*1000)/1000);

// or

alert("Area & Length\nArea: " + (app.activeDocument.selection[0].area/5184).toFixed(3) + "\nLength: " + (app.activeDocument.selection[0].length/72).toFixed(3));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, can you explain me how to make this script ? I have no experience with scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just confirming in CS6 that arc path length is available in in Menu bar: Window>Document Info (>dropdown menu [at right])>object [checked]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

figura/sfondo wrote:

Useful! Thank you very much.

For info :

- It is in "Info Document" panel, choosing "Object" in the options.

- Actually filters "Path Area" and "Path length" are not available in Illustrator CS6.

Just an FYI for other noobies looking for this info too, specifically you click "Window" --> "Info" Then to see the width and height you select the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for their help in creating this script. We've been using it for months and it works great on simple closed path objects. My question is this:

Is there any way to rebuild this script to find the area of a compound path?

I have no scripting knowledge to do it myself and I am in need of some help. Actually there are some fairy daft people in our studio who cannot add, subtract or multiply properly and they are making our studio as a whole look like imbeciles. If we had a script that we could run through an Illustrator Action then we could likely put an end to the 3" x 1" label having an area of slightly over 5 square inches.  Yes.    I know.

Currently, running the above scripts on a complex compound path (let's just say a Swiss cheese, square shape for ease of visualization) will result in the addition of each path's area. For instance, the outer square will be one path and each hole in the piece of cheese is another path. All of these paths are added together to give a result of much more than the area of the outside square if it had no holes in it.

My suggestion to our IT guy to solve this (which would still work for simple shapes as well) was to ask the script to subtract any smaller value from any larger value until there was only one value left. He said that is a pretty simple script to write, but he is very busy and hasn't had time to do it. It's been over 7 months. I hate bugging him for it because his daily problems are more crucial to the business than a simple script for one of the hundred softwares we are using. It probably seems like a trivial thing for him and I don't fault him for that.

I am usually pretty good at reverse engineering, so figuring out what the language in the script above related to and what it did was easy enough. I just have no new language to throw at it to ask it to do the rest. Every attempt I've made to alter the script above to suit my needs resulted in utter failure. It was sort of like trying to order Chinese food from an Italian menu using musical notes and hand grenades - I know I want food, this place makes food, can it make this kind of food if I throw enough random nonsense at it? Not likely. I gave up and decided to ask for help.

Help.

Please see the bold text above for a rehash of what I was trying to do. Is this truly a simple script to write or was he just trying to shoo me away?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Length of path.

Select the path.

Window > Document Information > -drop down menu- Object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, this is the best way mentioned by Mystiq.

Here's a screen grab.

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 4.45.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great, thanks, but my panel shows pixels instead of inches.

I have the document units set to inches. How can I get the Document Info / Objects to show in inches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found the solution

Go to preferences and under Units, change the General to inches. This is for Illustrator CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is amazingly helpful, for something I'm working on in After Effects too. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amazing, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Adobe would add measurement values for object area into the Document Info panel. It's nice being able to quickly and easily determine path lengths in that panel, but path area is an equally important value. The old Telegraphics Path Area plug-in was great for that (it would provide both path length and area of any selected objects).

One alternative is using the Dynamic Measure tool in Astute Graphics' VectorScribe plug-in. It has all sorts of useful features. Unfortunately the user must manually select (or hover on the edge of) paths one at a time using the Dynamic Measure tool to see path length and area. Then you have to write down the results of each path and add the values to get the total. That's a kludge. There is no way to select multiple objects, such as a group of letters you're going to cut out of aluminum on a routing table, all at once and get an area value. The old Telegraphics plug-in did that in a snap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines