Highlighted

measuring the distance between elements?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to measure the distance between shapes, lines, type, etc. in CS6? I could use the artboard ruler, though I'm looking for a quick way to give me a precise measurement?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

measuring the distance between elements?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to measure the distance between shapes, lines, type, etc. in CS6? I could use the artboard ruler, though I'm looking for a quick way to give me a precise measurement?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 06, 2012 0
Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "Measure tool"  ,

Check :- Measue Distance between two objects

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2012 1
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the info panel to read the measures between two lines. It worked fine till CC 2014 and it was accurate.

Now with CC 2015 / 2015.5, is different: the info panel shows the distance between two lines including the stroke weight in the measurement, therefore if I change the stroke width the measure will change.

How can we measure the distance without adding the stroke weight as it worked with past Illustrator releases(like CC 2014)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Preferences > General turn off "Use Artwork bounds"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2016 2
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika Gause​ it worked.

Very appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2016 0
Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2016 0
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mistery is gone! Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator's Measure tool does not confidently abide by snaps. It's practically useless. Use the Line tool to draw a line between the points, edges, or objects you want to measure. Then doubleClick the Line tool. Its dialog will have "remembered" the last-used values.

JET

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2012 2
Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that you wish to measure the distance to make that measure a certain amount. If that's the case, why not just use the Align panel to make it that precise amount?

1. Select two or more objects that you want to be an exact distance apart.
  2. Click again on the object that is already in the correct position This will make that object the "Key Object."
  3. If the bottom third of the Align panel is not showing, look under the Options menu of the panel and choose Show Options.
  4. In the Distribute Spacing section at the bottom of the panel, type a measurement in the field.
  5. Click either the Distribute Vertical or Horizontal Space command and your object will now be that exact amount apart.

Hope this helps! Please see attached.

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.32.11 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2016 1
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff thank you for your reply.

I'd like to measure the distance between just two lines, and I would like to obtain the precise measurement without the stroke width, like this:  

I solved changing in Preferences > General turn off "Use Artwork bounds" thanks to Monika Gause

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2016 0
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a basic feature. Other programs do this with ease. I got so used to it and it is so helpful in other programs, I hate coming back to Adobe products and they still don't have basic functionality in their apps. They will invest heavily in some complex feature that is not practical or no one uses it. Adobe XD's auto animate is a feature that no one needs but they push it like we use it in the proffesional commuity. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2020 1
rifraf LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the best thing i've read today 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0