• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging and Grouping problems

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I'm pretty new at illustrator, but I have made other attempts to teach mysef before and have some knowledge.

Back in 2017, and with that illustrator version, things were simple. I highlighted all of the overlapping objects, and grouped them with the path finder tool, and the  I could move them all together by just clicking the body of one part (yes, the objects are filled). Likewise with merge--I ended up being able to move things made with multiple shapes without have to highlighting all parts all over again (which gets increasingle frustrating as layers build up etc).

I just got illustrator again, the newest version. I've watched several videos recently made on youtube and elsewhere, all showing its easy as pie and just like my previous experience.

However, when I follow the same steps, the only thing that "grouping" changes is adding an "ungroup" option in the object menu." And all that merging does is eliminate the strokes where the objects overlap. Either way, I'm forced to reselect all of the parts to move them as one.

I figure I must be missing some incredibly simple thing. I have not fooled with any preferences or anything.

plz help!

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

wow great question. for some reason I inconsciously ised direct selection as a default! The standard selection tool seems to have generally solved the issue so far. thank you so much.

If you don't mind, could you give a brief summary of the different uses of these 2 selection tools? I know everything in illustrator can be expounded upon for centuries (or at least that's how it feels), so  just a general thing would suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edit: did not "group" with pathfinder tool (obviously) but merged. Tried to group with object menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What selection tool are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow great question. for some reason I inconsciously ised direct selection as a default! The standard selection tool seems to have generally solved the issue so far. thank you so much.

If you don't mind, could you give a brief summary of the different uses of these 2 selection tools? I know everything in illustrator can be expounded upon for centuries (or at least that's how it feels), so  just a general thing would suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines