• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging/Flattening Layers

Enthusiast ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to reduce the file size of a SVG image by making a copy of my Illustrator document and merging all the layers. But how do I do it?

I've checked out several references, but none of them work for me. I can't find a "Flatten Artwork" or "Merge Layers" option. Clicking on layers while holding down the Command or Shift key doesn't work, either. On top of that, I have a lot of layers that I can't click to begin with. There's no way to select them.

Has the process changed in Illustrator 2021?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Have you tried "Flatten Artwork" from the Layer panel flyout (upper right)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Layers don't produce filesize, paths and anchor points do. You have a lot of objects and a lot of colors: your file will be huge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried "Flatten Artwork" from the Layer panel flyout (upper right)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"upper right"

Ah, that's where it was hiding. 😉

I applied it, and it did reduce the file size. I noticed that I still have lots of layers, though. More precisely, I have lots of sublayers that have been consolidated into one layer. Is that the way it's supposed to work? I thought I would wind up with just one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also Select all the remaining Layers and use Merge Selected from that same menu or use Collect in New Layer from that same menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sub-layers? You are not referring to paths, are you?

If those are paths, you would need to use pathfinder functions to combine them (from the pathfinder panel). Will only have the desired outcome when they also all have the same color. Do they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they have various colors.

It's an image of the globe, with many different layers for the sea, many more layers for the continents, etc. I just thought it ought to reduce the final file size if I could somehow compress all of those layer into one bigger layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers don't produce filesize, paths and anchor points do. You have a lot of objects and a lot of colors: your file will be huge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably, not exactly what you need. But I found this article may help you on merging layers in AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please read the complete thread. Everything in your article has already been discussed in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines