Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Minus front knockout producing strange artifacts

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am experiencing some strange behavior in a couple of documents where I'm trying to use "minus front" from the pathfinder to knockout a compound path from another compound path. It's a rather complex path, and I suspect this is why the anomaly is happening, but I've tried it every which way and can't seem to figure it out. Image #1 shows the label I'm working on and how it should look - I'm simply trying to knock out the "Collagen Peptides" text from the pink label behind it. As you can see in image #2, when I do that, even though it shows that the full letters were knocked out, it displays some weird angles that aren't party of the text that I knocked out. This has happened on multiple documents with similar objects, can't seem to figure out why it won't knock out the whole thing? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pathfinder Flyort Menu >> Pathfinder Options >> make a lower number

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 2.08.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still seems to be exhibiting the same issue - thanks though, was worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a copy of the file, using google drive, dropbox or similar. Please simplify the example, and group  and use layers so someone else can easily and exactly wihtout question replicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it might just be a CPU/GPU display issue, but that would probably show up in other places too, given all the paths you've got there. I'm curious as to how you came to believe all that manual knocking out is required, or what output process requires it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm printing a foil overlay on a label, and the print company needs me to define the foil layer, hence all the knockout - if there's an easier way I'm all for it. In the end, this wouldn't be too hard if the knockouts weren't exhibiting the anomalies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Are you certain there isn't just a stray pink-filled object behind there? If it was really a Pathfinder inaccuracy, the green (layer-color) edges would follow it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you would think so - if you look at the layer structure in image #1, you'll see that I have everything behind it turned off. To be sure, I have verified that there is nothing behind it. I was experiencing the same thing in another document, and even tried moving the 2 objects (just the object and the knockout object) into a brand new document and trying it there, same issue. Baffling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I'm printing a foil overlay on a label, and the print company needs me to define the foil layer, hence all the knockout - if there's an easier way I'm all for it. In the end, this wouldn't be too hard if the knockouts weren't exhibiting the anomalies.

Did you really try View > Preview on CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a similar issue. By switching to CPU preview the artefacts dissapear, and back to GPU they are back.Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 2.55.25 pm.png

Will see what happens when the file is distilled for print and advise, but has anyone seen what the outputs look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a specific reason for using Pathfinder > Minus Front?  Typically the text would be set to KO in Attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All elements meant to be foil stamped should be in positive form, set as spot color, and placed on its own Layer.  If it is the text, just follow that procedure. Not necessary to KO, unless I am missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm missing something, or doing more work than I need -- in this case, the layer that is foil is not the text, but surrounding the text. I'm not sure how you would define that without knocking out the text from that area, right? Or is it a matter of having the text be white on top of the layer that is foil and just making that a spot color? Either way, the issue at hand is still something to be addressed, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a custom spot color and call it "Foil".

That would be just fine for a printer to understand. No need to go through all of the KO trouble. It is unnecessary.

As to the main issue you addressed of your letters not knocking out correctly, it appears that may be just a screen redraw issue. It doesn't print out with that way, does it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines