• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mirror/Reflect a Mesh, but not the Object?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have text that I warped with "envelope distort." Since I will print this on both sides of a triangle-shaped banner, I would like to mirror the mesh that I applied to the text, however, I don't want to actually mirror the text. Just the mesh. How would I do this?

Example: "slow down" would face the same direction, but letters would begin short & grow tall to match the slope of the triangle.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be easier to do the following:

1. Make a smaller triangle inside the banner in front of the text (new text, not the one with the mesh already applied)
  2. Duplicate the smaller triangle
  3. Reflect the duplicate triangle
  4. Duplicate the text
  5. Position it over the duplicate triangle and Send to back
  6. Select the first set of small triangle and text
  7. Use Object > Envelope > Make with Top Object
  8. Select the second set and repeat step 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! this method looks really good. My problem now is that the direction of the slope is mismatched - do you know if there is a way for the "down" to appear in the same stretched direction as "slow"? Perhaps it's just an optical illustion! I played with shearing angles but couldn't quite get it to work out.

Thank you!!

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 6.31.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's an optical illusion caused by the angle of the Ws compared to the N. You could reduce the distortion by using a trapezoid instead of a triangle when using Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object.

Another option would be reducing the tracking to eliminate the space between the characters. You could also experiment with other fonts with less of an angle on the W.

If you use the triangle, you could also try adding some characters, like hyphens, after each word, using Object > Expand, and deleting the hyphens. That will scoot the letters away from the point so that there's less distortion. However, you'll no longer have editable type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your type is wobbly I would start again. Pretty long explanation on mesh hacks and bezier handles.

Set your type

Effect >> Warp>> Arc (Or any f them as you will set to 0 first getting)

MikeGondek_0-1618615831038.png

Window >>Appearance >> Click on

MikeGondek_1-1618615861372.png

MikeGondek_2-1618615870539.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works really nicely, but I would like the text to be aligned in (bottom of "slow" and top of "down" straight,) but this mode spreads them apart. I have tried a few other of the warping options without success.

Yes I know my manual warp was messy! I had origianlly wanted to play with making it wavy but don't think it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Renee, Hi.

Here I set my type. Area text, two lines. I customized using Character panel.

Next, I drew out a rectangle. Scaled the right side.

Next Selected the shape and Object> Create Gradient Mesh.

Finally, Used Envelope, Make with top Object (that Gradient Mesh)

K

Envelope.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines