Highlighted

Missing characters in a PDF version of an Illustrator artwork.

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys, I am packaging designer in a Food Company and I must keep two languages in our artworks (nutrition facts, ingredients and stuff like that) ... Since few weeks I have noticed that when I create an artwork and make a copy as smallest size  PDF to be checked and approved by my colleagues, some characters just disappear after outlining the texts. Sometimes I can see them because they are big and obvious, but sometimes not because the problem could be in the small texts or even worst, in the language that I can't read and that is causing me a lot of issues since all the workflow needs to restart everytime I have to go and amend the file. Please help me!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Randy Hagan | Adobe Community Professional

Mouse type (small-sized characters) can go crazy when you go to outlines. A simple lower-case "g" can contain two compound paths and as many as 100 anchor points — or more — when drawing an elaborate character. Shrink that down into a small character size and "negative space" in the outlined characters can effectively overcome the "positive space" that we process as strokes making up that character. Especially if you're printing relatively low-resolution laser or inkjet proofs.

I strongly recommend that you embed your fonts in your created PDF, rather than outline the type. It'll give you a marginally better shot at rendering the type. Also, if you're not already doing so, consider a heavier weight of sans-serif type for your mouse type for nutrition info, ingredients, etc. That is a common trick to get FDA-mandated (US) nutrition labels to reproduce cleanly at small type sizes.

Good luck,

Randy

TOPICS
Draw and design, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Missing characters in a PDF version of an Illustrator artwork.

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys, I am packaging designer in a Food Company and I must keep two languages in our artworks (nutrition facts, ingredients and stuff like that) ... Since few weeks I have noticed that when I create an artwork and make a copy as smallest size  PDF to be checked and approved by my colleagues, some characters just disappear after outlining the texts. Sometimes I can see them because they are big and obvious, but sometimes not because the problem could be in the small texts or even worst, in the language that I can't read and that is causing me a lot of issues since all the workflow needs to restart everytime I have to go and amend the file. Please help me!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Randy Hagan | Adobe Community Professional

Mouse type (small-sized characters) can go crazy when you go to outlines. A simple lower-case "g" can contain two compound paths and as many as 100 anchor points — or more — when drawing an elaborate character. Shrink that down into a small character size and "negative space" in the outlined characters can effectively overcome the "positive space" that we process as strokes making up that character. Especially if you're printing relatively low-resolution laser or inkjet proofs.

I strongly recommend that you embed your fonts in your created PDF, rather than outline the type. It'll give you a marginally better shot at rendering the type. Also, if you're not already doing so, consider a heavier weight of sans-serif type for your mouse type for nutrition info, ingredients, etc. That is a common trick to get FDA-mandated (US) nutrition labels to reproduce cleanly at small type sizes.

Good luck,

Randy

TOPICS
Draw and design, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Some fonts could have problems when you create outlines, for example, spaces inconsistencies or missing characters. To avoid those problems I prefer just embed the fonts.

Marlon Ceballos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck,

Randy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
Resources