Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing links even though I have careful organisation

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community!
I have problems with missing links. I have windows 10. Adobe illustrator 2020 (not 2.5  yet) My linked files are on the computer. 

I have a few times restarted computer and got the missing files back.  

But I have many with files missing and only way to get them back is one by one linking and finding the correct file. It is uneven issue. I am perhaps this year, abusing illu, with number of artboards and linked files. I have had this problem this year but uneven but I am afraid when I open something I havent opened in a while 😉

I am used to link problems and how to organize mostly, with decided hiearchy of files and not changing names. But now I have many versions and confusing more. 

(I had problems also this year with illustrator not saving, without error message and stopping. That problem has reduced, since I read a tip about deleting the pref file. I also had a problem with new version of apps not reading old, ones but Adobe support solved that one). I am used to now,saving pdfs for some extra important files, and also saving with all type in outlines,

I am much more interested in a stable illustrator with linked files than any new feature. I ws thinking about going back to older versions, while these issues are resolved?

I dont have constant pop up with asking for linked files, as some have had.

I am wondering should I update to last version (as of course always adobe suggest) or go back to older version, version maybe 24.02 which I read was perceived as stable by pros? (I dont know what topics below are appropriate for this question..)

B Rgds 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, could you please confirm if the file was packaged. If not, it's a best practice to package your file with all the linked files and keep them at one place.

You may also try the suggestions shared on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) and let us know how it goes. 

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

The best organization for Illustrator files is the Package feature (File > Package). This collects all linked and typeface used in a file and puts it all in a folder along with a copy of your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what's happening. Does Illustrator not find the links or do the linked images vanish from your project?

How long are folder names?

Any non-ASCII characters in files or folder names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika!

I dont know if they vanish or not find the links.. When I look in one document, the images are squares and in link window there are question marks. In this particular project the file name for linked files was links in same folder, but that is not always the case.

Filenames I don't know. Normal long I think?

Before not so much nowadays I would get while doing backup of entire organisation of design files, get warning names too long, will not copy this (on pc). But I do like to get what I feel is the correct name, logic name to find again, so maybe I have sometimes? 

My organisation is better now than before, apart from now making copies, and keeping copies due to this problem? Making pdfs also for backup. 

I see on google the ASCII names, code? No, I dont use that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its says "Couldn't find the linked files, choose replace.."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, could you please confirm if the file was packaged. If not, it's a best practice to package your file with all the linked files and keep them at one place.

You may also try the suggestions shared on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) and let us know how it goes. 

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The best organization for Illustrator files is the Package feature (File > Package). This collects all linked and typeface used in a file and puts it all in a folder along with a copy of your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines