• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

missing transform handles in AI

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the handles that allow me to transform (rotate, scale, etc) an object have disappeared. please help!!!!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

View > Show bounding box

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Mac COMMAND + SHIFT + B

PC  CONTROL + SHIFT + B

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. View > Show Edges worked for me... or CTRL-H (Cmd-H).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing open web browsers strangely enough works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this happened to anyone else, but after going through and confirming that all the noted above possible issues had been tried, I found I was still having the similar issue where only sometimes they would show and in other cases it still would not.

I was working with a file I had not created the final version myself. So there were parts, and clipping masks, and odd groups of pieces  all over the place.

I found 2 things happened to me that I didn't come accross in other postings. Hope it may help someone else too. It took me hours of testing, and manipulating to find this out by accident.

In a group of items, if there was a clipping mask, the bounding box and edges etc would not show for me. As soon as I removed the clipping mask (oddly enough, there were some in the file that just did not need to be there...) the edges and the bounding box would appear again.

Then, I ran accross a group of parts, and it was happening again! I was really frustrated. After some more messing around, and searching the group of parts (they had every single part all in one layer) to find all of it to be sure that there was not the same issue as before, I found one stray piece in the group that was way off to the other end of the board. It was off screen from where I was working. Had the bounding box, or edges been working properly, I would have caught it faster. Once it was no longer part of the group that was all in the same place, the bounding box and edges returned again.

Wish I could explain why that happened, or if either of those were an actual issue, or just coincidence.  But if it wasn't, hopefully I was able to share something that helps someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact same problem! I went through everything on this thread with no luck then realised it was really simple.

Once you've selected the points using the Direct Selection tool, you need to press 'E' (or click the Free Transform tool button) to make the handles appear.

I'm sure the handles used to appear by default when using the Direct Selection tool, apparently now they don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!! This worked for me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DAMN IT.

I wish Adobe would stop changing stuff just to justify the subscription fee. "Improving the user experience" is just slowing my work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I wish Adobe would stop changing stuff just to justify the subscription fee. "

They don't. They change stuff, because people are actually asking for it.

So please tell us what is not working for you, because hiding the bounding box worked like it did decades ago. And working with the free transform tool as well. You can safely ignore the additional options widget, which serves the purpose of operating the tool one-handedly (comes in practical when you are using a tablet device such as the Microsoft Surface and which comes in handy when you want to not have your second hand at the keyboard ... you would be surprised how many people do that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, it's beyond frustrating when they change super basic behavior and program principles that been in place for years.

It'd be nice if Adobe worked on solving existing issues instead of creating new ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe in detail what has changed for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @samgage!!! That worked. Pressing "e" worked for me after trying so many other things! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having trouble with not seeing rotate handles so that's why I landed on this page. None of these solutions worked for me. What did work was closing and the reopening the file. I had let the file sit open on my computer for a few days so that might have been the cause. Just a guess since im new at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac COMMAND + SHIFT + B

PC  CONTROL + SHIFT + B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would anyone implement something like this at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Billy35022441j0rs  schrieb:

Why would anyone implement something like this at all?

Because there are reasons for working without the bounding box. And there are reasons for using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encouted this problem too and had to figure it out. I don't think it's a bug like others believed to be. This is what you need to do to get the bounding box back without restarting or closing your program.

Click View, Select Show Bounding Box or Press Shift + Command + B

Let me know if this works.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines