• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mistaken use of Control-Y (CTRL-Y) to Redo

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently thought that I lost hours of work (in Adobe Illustrator) when I accidentally used control-Y (CTRL-Y) to redo something after I used control-Z (CTRL-Z) to undo a change. When I used control-Y, a white background with only fine outlines of my work remained. After trying to use control-Z (to undo my mistaken use of control-Y), and finding that it did absolutely nothing to resolve the problem, I began to experiment with the remnants of the work.

I selected the entire image (which was only fine lines), used control-C (to copy the selection), then opened a new document and pasted the contents using control-V. Like magic, all of my work was on the new document - details, colors, everything! I can only theorize that the original work was not really lost, only hidden in a way that I was unable to recover on the original document.

Wondering if anyone else has a solution for the mistaken use of control-Y in an Adobe Illustrator document.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Cmd(Ctrl)-Y is the keyboard toggle for Outline View. If you had used the same combination again in your original file the view of everything would have returned (as you found when you moved it to a new file with Preview active).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Jesus..it happened to me for the third time when I accidentally changed the keyboard settings while working..thanks for the post! I could manage to get back everything as it was before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED: VIEW - PROOF SETUP - INTERNET STANDART RGB (sRGB)

Screenshot (345).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ctrl y is answer of ctrl y ( outline)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE, how can these guys have such a horrific UX? ctrl + y is used pretty much everywere as an undo control but here, itjust messes everything up and does something that no one knows nor wants. Really these guys i feel like i wnt to ill people right now. and don't offer a way to fix it? wtf just happend to my design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@entroid  schrieb:

OMG I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE, how can these guys have such a horrific UX? ctrl + y is used pretty much everywere as an undo control 

Everywhere? I'm seeing it used basically nowhere at all. The standard is Ctrl+Z for undo

Are you sure you are not using the wrong keyboard language?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they mean Ctrl+Y as redo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He said "an undo control", ergo he was saying it's one of the controls, the one that redoes it, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Adobe is a huge, soulless corporation whose faceless bureaucrats make these arbitrary decisions, probably by committee, without any consideration for the users.

While I'm so used to Photoshop that I still refer to it when in a hurry, I increasingly use alternatives for my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much. It worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines