• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mouse & Keyboard issues when working in Illustrator CC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having an ongoing issue with my wireless mouse and keyboard when using Illustrator CC 2019 and I can't figure out if it's software, network or computer problems.

When I open a file, I get intermittent stuttering and lagging of the mouse. For instance, when I attempt to select an object by dragging a box around it, it quits "selecting" about halfway through, only selecting a part of the object. Other times it it wont move. While this stoppage may only last a few seconds, when it occurs several times a minute, the time loss adds up.

Sometimes I lose functionality of the keyboard as well. Though the mouse may still move, I can't use any keyboard shortcuts (ex. Ctrl + G) or mouse/keyboard shortcuts (ex. Alt + Mouse Scroll Wheel). This may last 4-5 seconds of up to a minute. I use Alt+Scroll Wheel heavily and when it disappears, it slows me way down.

Some days it may only happen a few times, but other days (like yesterday and today) I want to start "flinging stuff"!

I've experienced these issues with both wired and wireless keyboard/mouse combos.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Computer Info: Dell Precision 3620 w/Intel i7-6700 @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB

Software Info: Win 7 Pro 64-Bit (latest updates), Illustrator CC 2019 (23.0.3)

Mouse/Keyboard Info: Logitech mk550 (current), Logitech mk345 (same issues), Dell Wired K/M (came with comp, issues started with it)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you swapped out the battery in the mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was struggling with this as well. I would be working in PS or AI and my ALT key + click/drag on object to duplicate wasn't working, or using shift key + click/drag on an element's edge to move it out of constraints wouldn't work. Basically anything using the shift, alt, or command key wouldn't work. I tried shutting down programs and that didn't work, so I tried restarting.

After reading this thread I realized that this morning when I booted up my computer, my Wacom tablet wasn't working and I had been prompted to access my Security and Privacy settings in my System Preferences to allow "WacomTabletDriver" to control my computer. As soon as I unticked and stopped allow that to "control my computer", while my Wacom tablet was no longer working, I was able to use the shift, alt, and command keys again.

So I'm not sure if it was an update to CC apps or my Wacom tablet driver, but my Wacom Desktop Center app says that all my drivers for the tablet are up-to-date. I'm not sure if we have the same issue, but I'll have to find a work around. I don't really want to have to buy a new tablet.

I'm on the same version Illustrator as you. Do you know if this is also happening for you in any other CC apps like Photoshop? I wish I could help but I'm not versed in PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As per your query, keyboard shortcuts are not working if the Wacom is connected. Please take a look at this similar discussion: Keyboard shortcuts not working when using Wacom

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using a Wacom tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the details. I understand you are facing an issue with a mouse and keyboard while working in Illustrator. Let us help you make this right. I would need a few more details like:

• Is this happening only with Illustrator? Does the mouse/ keyboard work fine with other applications?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
  • Did you try updating Mouse and keyboard drivers?
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help resolve the issue?

Please note resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This happens to me as well—only in Illustrator. Seems to be escalating. I am an illustrator and graphic designer so it happens most often when I'm using the pen tool to draw curves.

I use multiple Adobe CC products on two Macs. Use MacBook Pro (2016) and M1 Mac (2021). Keyboard is fine but wireless mouse jumps and lags. Have changed battery, updated preferences, cleared RAM, changed mouses, reloaded Illustrator, etc. Will work a while then recurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it periodically in both PS and ID, but nowhere near the extent as in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a 2020 iMac. It has 40GB of memory installed. I just loaded Creative Cloud and started using Illustrator and am experiencing a lag in the reaction time for my wireless keyboard. When I select a new tool--using a keyboard short cut- or hold space for the hand, it is delayed a second. This is totally a bummer becasue I move very fast in these programs and that is making me make mistakes. 

I used to have an older iMac with a wireless keyboard and never had these problems.

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this also happen with a wired keyboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same thing. Illustrator only. Both my wireless mouse and my laptop touch pad suddenly become jittery, imprecise, and generally  useless. It happens spontaneously, and often I end up restarting my whole computer since closing out of the application doesn't always fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience this regularly in AI, ID, and PS as well. Wireless keyboard & mouse. Batteries have been swapped several times. When issue occurs, keyboard & mouse work fine in non-Adobe applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue too. Occurs on both my MacBook Pros—including my new M1 Mac. Only occurs in Illustrator (using CC). I've changed my battery several times--works for a while then starts to lag or jump. I'm an illustrator so this is VERY disconcerting. It's clearly an Illustrator issue--not occuring in any other programs (InDesign, Photoshop, Word, etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines