• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move tool

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm moving an object the move is not being recorded. Bringing up the Move dialog box it shows only 0's in the boxes. Is there somewhere in Illy that now needs to be checked to make this happen. I'm running the latest Illy and I'm running it on Mac Mojave and Catalina. Any help would be appreciated

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to try to help, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the move not being recorded? Are you able to move objects? I'm also not sure what you mean by "move dialog box"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meganchi,

Right after you posted this I figured it out. Let me explain. If you have a object and you drag it to a new position or copy it to a new position. Bringing up the move dialogue it shows what the last move is. This wasn't happening for me because I placed the cursor on the center point. Evidently this doesn't record  the movement of the object. I didn't know this. Can't think of a reason right now why one would want this but I'm sure there is one.  Oh by the way. Move dialogue box is hit Enter when you have the move tool selected along with the object you want to move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Transform > Move, I think.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaibab does the following, I use to do the very same,

1. Click on an object and drag it, move it manually to a new place. Optionally click right on the center point and drag from there.

2. Then he wants to see the Distance, Position and angle of that transformation (for repeating the same on a copy, change angle or other values....). Thus as he has the Selection Tool (V or A) also the Move Tool, just presses Enter and the Move transformation Options panel shows up.

3. He notice the values are not recorded, they show 0, not any other number or angle.

That is not correct anyhow, I have just checked on last update to confirm, if a bug could have slipped in, but no. Moving an item from its center, or any other point records, saves those displacements.

Could you please detail the numerical version of your Illustrator (Help> About Illustrator) on version of OS?

Does it happen too when rotating an object?

Can you try to reset Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the latest Illustrator 24.03. Computers are Mac. One is running
on OS Mojave, the other is Catalina. Issue is on both.

Reset preferences. Still does not record when dragging from the center
point.
Rotate works fine.
Once the polygon shape has been altered from it's original form it will
record from the center point. (altered as in changing it's shape. Scaling
the original still produces the same non recording from the center point)

Hope this helps. It's such a subtle issue that now that I know about it I
know how to avoid it.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate that issue either. I am on Catalina as well. I guess as long as you know how to avoid it, but it is an odd quirk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2. Then he wants... ( really solved my problem)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate it, it seems that moving while dragging the center point from shapes is not recorded, but outside the anchor point will record it:

Start Illustrator. 

Create a rectangle.

Move it by grabbing the center point.

Double click the Selection tool (V)

Horizontal: 0 Vertical: 0, which is not to be expected.

When moving the object and grabbing it anywhere outside the center point, the move is recorded.

Double clicking the Selection tool and clicking OK will move it as expected.

Dragging the object again from the center point will not record it, but will remember the last movement when dragged outside the anchor point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Older versions have the same problem (I checked CC 2017)/

Probably time for a bug reprt here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton,

Do you want me to send the report or would you like to since you are more experienced at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You found the problem, so it looks correct to me that you report it.

Don't forget to include a link to this thread.

And report the link to the Uservoice report here, so others (including me) can vote for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that on Windows 10, forgot to remark it, my fault, and as explained it works as expected no 0s.

Maybe could it be a Mcc-only bug?

I have tried dragging with and without selecting firstly the rectangle, and also have double click the Selection tool or pressed Enter. No problem usin g latest version at least for Windows 10, though I am not checking  if they were right.

I will check later on Mac and confirm your findings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about Shapes or regular objects?

Any Shape dragged from the center will have this problem (at least on my Mac).

Normal (non shape) objects don't have the problem.

Don't forget to restart Illustrator first before checking it. Illustrator remembers moves even in new created documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed yesterday Illustrator 24.0.3 on a new Macbook Pro 16" with Catalina 10.15.3 and it is wrong as you have found ot

The Move options show the very same values for any displacement, no change at all. Wow definitively it is a serious bug.

Thanks Ton for your comments that sent me bak to the Macbook and pay attention to the Options output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you could confirm the problem, Frederico!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator for Windows it happens too, after moving a first time, where some values are registered, any further, new movement dragging from the center point a shape like a rectangle or polygon or ellipse, new position and distance are not recorded, the initial values, first mvement, stay. They do not change at all!

(Thanks god, Ctrl/Cmd+D works correctly)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines