• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move-Transform object function on iPad Illustrator? And drawing true straight lines with pen tool.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just switched to Illustrator on the iPad from Mac desktop and there are two desktop functions I'm having a hard time finding an alternative for.

1. Moving an object by a specific value - I.e. on desktop I would move an object by using Transform - Move - then specify the horizontal or vertical value that I would like to move it. 

2. Pen tool - on desktop Illustrator I would create straight lines by holding Shift key down when plotting points. On the iPad I've tried having grid view on and snapping to grid, but it doesn't seem to actually do it...

Thanks, appreciate any suggestions for similar functions! 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: just found the X-Y function in transform 🤦🏻‍:female_sign: Can't believe I didn't catch that before. That's the moving an object taken care of, if anyone has a suggestion for drawing straight lines with the pen tool that would still be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And turns out this function isn't what I was looking for... it measures from the edge of the art board, not from the position of the object that you are moving. So still needing alternatives for both desktop functions, if anyone has any suggestions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find the answer to this? I have the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are looking for the Touch shortcut:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/workspace-on-iPad.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Monika, unfortunately no luck finding the function that I'm looking for in Touch shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - did you find a solution to the transform issue?

For drawing a straight line you can use the pen tool - hold the circle thing and it puts the second point parallel to the previous one 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines