• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moved all my work to an external hard drive and now I cannot open them : Indd, Ai

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved my work to an external hard drive (SSD), and now I cannot open most files. Indesign and Illustrator.

The drive is brand new, not full, and all things are well with it.

I did get some errors about another version of the file open elsewhere, but then they stopped too. 

I'm Mac 11.2.3

Please help anyone, Adobers in particular. I've been a loyal user and payer for so very long, and need to keep the power on! 

Thanks,

Laura.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have all my files on iCloud and moved to the external hard drive, and deleted from iCloud. I do not want to copy each one to my local drive and move back each time. I added a backup version from the external drive to Dropbox but haven't opened any of these. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the exact messages and symptoms you get now, when you try to open the file. Also the specific version of InDesign (not "latest").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I am using Illustrator v 25.2.3 and InDesign v 16.2.1. 

Errors below. 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear about your experience. We thank you for sharing the information as asked. Are you able to open these files when you copy them on your internal/local drive? If yes, this could be related to the permissions.

You may check out & follow this Apple support article & see if it makes any difference. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for replying, it made no difference.

Please help.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines