Moving Illustrator 2017 to a new computer

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Illustrator 2017 for years on my MacBook Pro and it's been wonderful, no complaints. But now I have a new (to me) Mac Pro, and while it's more powerful than my laptop, it's older, and I'm running into problem after problem after problem trying to get Illustrator working. At first I figured I'd be able to just download an older version through Creative Cloud, but none are offered for Illustrator. So I coppied all the Illustrator 2017 files from my MacBook onto a thumbdrive, and brought the app over to my Mac Pro manually.

Now when I try to launch Illustrator the Application Manager pops up and tells me that I've exceded my 2 allowed logins (even though this computer is one of the two that I'm logged in on), and gives me the option to log out of the other computers so I can log in for Illustrator 2017. When I click that option, it takes me to a nearly blank login page with just an email line and a continue button, but my cursor has a circle with a slash through it and I'm unable to click or type or interact with the login page in any way.

I've been through tech support and they had me uninstall and reinstall CC and the Application Manager a few times and run an Adobe cleaner, and every time the same thing happens.

Tech support eventually gave up, they told me there is something wrong with my 2017 Illustrator files, but Adobe no longer supports any older versions so there's no way for me to download a fresh copy. This is confusing to me because Illustrator 2017 works perfectly on my laptop, and the 2021 CC on that laptop recognizes the app just fine. Also I find it a bit hard to believe that Adobe would go through the trouble of eradicating all of their master files of every version of Illustrator pre-2020.

Has anyone else been able to get an older version of Illustrator working? Am I doomed to work on a laptop forever with my $650-per-year design software?

TOPICS
Activation billing and install, Bug, Feature request, How to, Performance, Tools

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021
Hi @Überschnitzel, You can't just copy over the files from one computer to make it work on another computer, there are lots of files that the installer puts at many different locations apart from the applications folder. So this is not gonna work and the support guy was correct that Adobe now supports only the latest two versions of the CC apps. However you might be in luck, try downloading the installer from the following link, if it works make a copy of it on a disk as the links can stop worki...

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Überschnitzel,

You can't just copy over the files from one computer to make it work on another computer, there are lots of files that the installer puts at many different locations apart from the applications folder. So this is not gonna work and the support guy was correct that Adobe now supports only the latest two versions of the CC apps. However you might be in luck, try downloading the installer from the following link, if it works make a copy of it on a disk as the links can stop working anytime. The links download from Adobe servers so if they don't work then be assured that Adobe has discontinued providing the download and anyone claiming to provide that is a potential scammer.

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2017-direct-download-links.html
-Manan

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This download worked! Illustrator 2017 is now showing up in my Creative Cloud app menu, and I can launch it from there. However, even when launching it from the CC menu, the Application Manager blocks it and says I'm signed in on too many computers, then doesn't allow me to interact with the login page at all.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to launch it successfully! I logged out of CC on my laptop, and now it lets me access Illustrator on the desktop. So, for some reason, CC recognizes my desktop as two computers.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. If you have a new computer, why do you want to work with an older Illustrator version?

Marlon Ceballos.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only new to me. The computer is from 2009 and is running El Capitan (10.11.6), and the modern version of Illustrator is incompatible.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2017 app can't work in Catalina or Big Sur, which a new Mac will run. New Mac, all new apps - getting rid of out of date apps is all part of the Joy of Mac! Even if you could just copy it to another Mac, which you can't.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The computer is from 2009 and is running El Capitan (10.11.6), so unfortunately I can't use the modern versions of Illustrator.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Illustrator has ruined my creative life.

Some days it works (very slowly) and some days, just a spinning wheel. I have an i mac 21.5, Mid 2014 mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Yesterday, I managed to do a little work, today it just spinns.

I have managed download illusstrator v-24.3 but need v22.

HELP ADOBE... I am desperate.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeanelle,

The ProDesignTools link that Manan gave Ûberschnitzel above goes to AI 2017.

When you say V22, (22.[something]), my guess is that you refer to AI2018, which is the newer, see here,

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements/earlier-versions.html

In that case, here is the direct download link set to CC2018 including A2018,

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2018-direct-download-links.html

Whichever version you wish to get to, you can go back using the instructions here, with links in the To roll backwards to a prior/earlier CC version (downgrade) section,

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-version-control.html

You will wish to avoid its (automatically) updating.

Edit: Hi Manan.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines