• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving items/objects between layers

Engaged ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What is the correct way for moving items, objects, etc. from one layer to another. I have been selecting the item and it shows the little colored square in the layers panel and I just drag the square to a new layer. Is this the right way of doing this?

2. If so, when I expand a layer it shows the separate sublayers or whatever they are called with additional colored squares. Do I not worry about expanding the layer and just use the main colored square or is there a reason to expand and select the other ones?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

1. yes. But they are not sublayers. They are paths.

2. You can only join open paths.

3. You can only move paths into layers. So you can move a path into that layer, but if you want to move it below that layer, you will first need to create a new layer below that other layer to move a path there. If you want to move a path to a specific position in the stacking order that doesn't work by moving the small colored square. You need to then grab the layer itself and move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the little square is one way to do so.

Please show screenshots of what exactly you are doing and what exactly is not going as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tracing over a portrait and have items on different layers and I am trying to understand how to move some items between some layers and other layers for organization. Attached is a quick example I made.

1. Do the separate sublayers that appear under the main "Hair" layer just represent each time I used the Pencil to draw a path?

2. I press the circle to target all of the paths on the Hair layer and I want to join them so I press command + J, however, when I move them with the selection tool some of them move and some do not. Perhaps I should not be trying to join them?  However, if I selected everything on the layer shouldnt they be joined now? Is this the proper way of selecting everything on a layer?

3. If for some reason I wanted to move the second <Path> under the "Eyes" layer, should I just click on it and drag the square to the "Hair" layer?

Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 11.16.28 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. yes. But they are not sublayers. They are paths.

2. You can only join open paths.

3. You can only move paths into layers. So you can move a path into that layer, but if you want to move it below that layer, you will first need to create a new layer below that other layer to move a path there. If you want to move a path to a specific position in the stacking order that doesn't work by moving the small colored square. You need to then grab the layer itself and move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines