• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My file has not been modified outside of Illustrator!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting this dialog box when I try to save various files, but the documents have definitely not been modified in any other program. I'm not even renaming these files elsewhere. Does anyone know why I keep getting this message, and what I can do to stop it? I continue saving the file anyway, but it's getting irritating to keep seeing the dialog box so frequently, and it's disrupting my workflow quite a bit when it shows up multiple times throughout the course of trying to save a project.

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 1.31.53 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea it is Sierra, I also get an issue with changing file names and folders on the desktop does anyone have that too. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought two things ...

1) Time Machine or other backup is re-designating the file as changed. Alas turning off Time Machine and disconnecting from the Internet did nothing.

2) Adobe is keep track of the file ... so I did a Save a Copy to see what I get because I recalled there are some options ... I had Save PDF compatible and Use Compression. Well Save PDF? ... well maybe is does need to know some info about PDF/Acrobat, etc. so I turned that off and I've yet to receive the error again ... I had it each time a new object was added.

PLEASE TEST THE HYPOTHESIS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randy, you're right. Something about saving it with PDF compatibility is causing this message. Unfortunately though, it's important for me to keep that enabled so that you can preview using Spotlight.

I've tested turning of Handoff in the General Preferences to no avail.

ADOBE, please fix this issue. It's very disruptive, and incentivizes me not to save my files as often (which we all know is a bad thing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John, but it seems I am wrong ... the message came back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually save to dropbox but was getting the pop up error. after dragging the file to my desktop and opening it up from there still got the error. created new file saved did not get the error . opened that file again got the error. its hit or miss between adobe and apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. We are actually working out of DropBox, but this only began with our High Sierra / CC 2018 update in January. Since then I get these regular, annoying alerts.

Will try the disabling the iCloud handoff, and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't help.  I'm using Adobe Illustrator 23.0.4 and this problem started recently.   OS is Mojave v 10.14.6.  Files are not being saved to a icloud accessible folder and while they are being saved to a server, I can create a file, save it, make a quick change and save it less than a minute later and still get this message.  There is no one else in my department to be modifying files never mind a file that has only existed on the server for less than a minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen without the server involved? The problem with servers is nothing to do with other people modifying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't even happen EVERY time I save a file, just the majority of the time.  Any time I think I've figured out the cause or pattern, I can't recreate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoyingly, problem persists on the latest build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have solved it for me:

Go to System Prefs/General, un check the box that says Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices. It's the second up from the bottom.

I don't use Handoff, as this machine is owned by my company, so there's nothing to hand off to. If you do use it, then I don't know what your solution might be.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most common cause seems to be timestamps. Check in Finder (Get Info, not just the file list) what the modification time is. Classically everyone gets messed up by daylight savings changes, but there could be other problems (clock slow in computer/fast in server for example). And it might not be time at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, this issue clearly has not been solved. I see several people on this forum still commenting that the most recent update still has it happening. I'm up to date, but it still happens. Help! It's aggresively annoying and disrupts my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started getting the message yesterday after updating CC on Windows 10. Can't recall getting the message before, though it looks like it is an ongoing issue for many years.

Illustrator CC 2020

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say this but your link unfortuantley doesn't offer any solution or fix. It merely states that the bug has been fixed with an update long passed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Sorry to say this but your link unfortuantley doesn't offer any solution or fix. It merely states that the bug has been fixed with an update long passed. "

That is because this thread is 3 years old.

So you have which version on which system?

And where exactly do you save your files?

And please create a new thread, unless you are using Mac OS 10.13 and whatever Illustrator-Version this thread is about.

The same error message can be caused by different issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well excuse me – So many threads to choose from on this subject I was wasn't aware it was a long running problem. I'm runing OS 10.15.05 and have the latest version of Illustrator. Perhaps you can point me to the correct thread for this decade? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just create a new thread for your issue.

BTW: At least 95% of people here are not staff and help in their spare time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's late 2022, OS Ventura, AI 27.0 and this ambiguous message has now popped up for years over many versions and operating systems. Just had it happen a few times this morning. It's simply an Illustrator quirk and easy to ignore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines