Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Naming paths ID's for SVG files.

Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the process of creating an SVG file. I'll have a large number of paths of which all have a seemingly random ID's assigned to them, for example path4758 (see below). Ideally, I'd love to be able to set my own ID for a path, it would help when I parse my SVG file with a Python script. Is it possible to change the ID that is assigned to a path inside of Illustrator? If so, how would I be able to do so?

Sample Path

<path id="path4758" fill="#6DBE45" stroke="#727271" d="M76.872,481.133C76.012,484.881,74.835,481.123,76.872,481.133z"/>

SVG Save Options

SVG Profile 1.1

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Select the path and right click.

Choose "create compound path".

Look at your layers panel and you'll notice the shape or path you selected has been renamed to "<Compound Path>".

You can now change "<Compound Path>" to whatever you want the id to be.

Save the file as an SVG if you haven't already.

Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are AI's internal object IDs. Only excessive scripting can change them. it would probably be a lot easier if you simply handle that part in your Py script.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that simply changing the name of the particular path in the Layers palette sets the id for that path. Seems dodgy for some reason when implementing interactivity and there are compound paths involved, but certainly works for simpler cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any object or layer that uses a number as a leading character in Illustrator will be converted into some crazy id in the resulting SVG.

For instance:

A layer called "1st-floor-rooms" in Illustrator will become "_x31_st-floor-rooms" in the SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes that's cause id's in html can never start with a number

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the path and right click.

Choose "create compound path".

Look at your layers panel and you'll notice the shape or path you selected has been renamed to "<Compound Path>".

You can now change "<Compound Path>" to whatever you want the id to be.

Save the file as an SVG if you haven't already.

Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve tried this, and sometimes it works whilst others it still retains the original path ID on export even though the name is changed in the layer palette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You find something that actually works for 2022?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me, at least, it seems that if you use the "save as" -method, it will not retain the layer names as IDs. However, when using the "export as" -method, it seems to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines