Naming paths ID's for SVG files.

I'm in the process of creating an SVG file. I'll have a large number of paths of which all have a seemingly random ID's assigned to them, for example path4758 (see below). Ideally, I'd love to be able to set my own ID for a path, it would help when I parse my SVG file with a Python script. Is it possible to change the ID that is assigned to a path inside of Illustrator? If so, how would I be able to do so?

Sample Path

<path id="path4758" fill="#6DBE45" stroke="#727271" d="M76.872,481.133C76.012,484.881,74.835,481.123,76.872,481.133z"/>

SVG Save Options

SVG Profile 1.1

Thanks!

Select the path and right click.

Choose "create compound path".

Look at your layers panel and you'll notice the shape or path you selected has been renamed to "<Compound Path>".

You can now change "<Compound Path>" to whatever you want the id to be.

Save the file as an SVG if you haven't already.

Done!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Naming paths ID's for SVG files.

I'm in the process of creating an SVG file. I'll have a large number of paths of which all have a seemingly random ID's assigned to them, for example path4758 (see below). Ideally, I'd love to be able to set my own ID for a path, it would help when I parse my SVG file with a Python script. Is it possible to change the ID that is assigned to a path inside of Illustrator? If so, how would I be able to do so?

Sample Path

<path id="path4758" fill="#6DBE45" stroke="#727271" d="M76.872,481.133C76.012,484.881,74.835,481.123,76.872,481.133z"/>

SVG Save Options

SVG Profile 1.1

Thanks!

Look at your layers panel and you'll notice the shape or path you selected has been renamed to "<Compound Path>".

Done!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Re: Naming paths ID's for SVG files.

Most Valued Participant , Sep 30, 2012

They are AI's internal object IDs. Only excessive scripting can change them. it would probably be a lot easier if you simply handle that part in your Py script.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I've found that simply changing the name of the particular path in the Layers palette sets the id for that path. Seems dodgy for some reason when implementing interactivity and there are compound paths involved, but certainly works for simpler cases.

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Any object or layer that uses a number as a leading character in Illustrator will be converted into some crazy id in the resulting SVG.

For instance:

A layer called "1st-floor-rooms" in Illustrator will become "_x31_st-floor-rooms" in the SVG.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

yes that's cause id's in html can never start with a number

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Done!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines