• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Help Creating this text effect please ?

New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im trying to recreate this rock text effect like the one attached (grey photo). I want to use to try to have a comic book feel (kind of like the old school marvel comics*see attached *) . If antone has a tutorial or tips on how to create this in Illustrator that would be appreciated !

Thanks in Advance 

TOPICS
Feature request , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Build up your text

Look for a matching typeface to that shown, )it's not needed to convert to outlines). 

(I would not retouch and erode those letter corners, yet).

Select the text and apply Effects>3D>Extrude with values as shown:

Extrude Depth controls the length or deepness, the convergence to be back side is controlled by the Perspective, and the vertical inclination or balance is from the first rotation control (18 degrees in my example). others should be close to 0.

3d.png

Use to two line from

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Build up your text

Look for a matching typeface to that shown, )it's not needed to convert to outlines). 

(I would not retouch and erode those letter corners, yet).

Select the text and apply Effects>3D>Extrude with values as shown:

Extrude Depth controls the length or deepness, the convergence to be back side is controlled by the Perspective, and the vertical inclination or balance is from the first rotation control (18 degrees in my example). others should be close to 0.

3d.png

Use to two line from both extremes to converge in the back the perspective endpoint.

Now duplicate the 3D text object(s) and Obejct >Expand Appearance and remove the perspective lines and surfaces, just keep the front text, move it aside if needed and erode or modify the corners, using the Erase tool, the Pencil tool, the knife, add or delete points using the Pen tool,.... When happy with it change also the color or grey tone and move it back on top of the 3D

You are only left to draw those lines that converge to the perspective endpont.

Draw a sinle line (use a black or any color to preview it. On the Control bar on top right of the stroke width you have a window for Variable Width Profiles, use one that suits the drawing or create a new one.

Draw those lines poyecting to the endpoint with the width profile applied, select the endpoint and suing the samrt guides shorten their lengthg to keep it inside the 3D bloock.

That's all.

(If you have that original drawing made, use it initially, place it as a template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the texturized look of the facing side of the text, you can use or start with a Pattern fill.

Ai includes some (classic) libraries:

Click on an icon bottom left, from the list choose Patterns>Basic Graphics Textures>Lines or any other you fancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

okay thanks for everything I will try it out now !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines