• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help making a seemless pattern brush

Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am at my wits end on this.. I have created a brush 21 x 21 pixels to create a baseball stitch..  My pattern contains two ends and two middle sections totalling 84 pixels long and 21 pixels high as shown in the attached. 

My goal is to make a seemless pattern but I always get a small and annoying white space as shown in the second picture.

I am using Illustrator 25.2.1 (64 bit) on a Windows 64 platform.

Any advice to resolve this challenge would be appreciated.

Illustrator Brush 1.JPGIllustrator Brush 2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your second image it looks as though the brush is constructed from a jpg image which has extra pixels beyond the end of the seam which need to be cropped off before making the brush.

As an alternative, you might want to consider building a stitch from scratch and turning that into a pattern brush.

tromboniator_0-1620111311373.png

Here's an enlarged view in both Preview and Outline views:

tromboniator_1-1620111343108.png

And a path turned into a symbol and applied to a 3D ball:

tromboniator_2-1620111372241.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thank you for responding.  My brush was created in Illustrator and not a .jpg file.  After wasting a fair amount of time trying to figure out why the brush would not appear seamless, I added a fill on both ends.. I then made a clipping mask @ 21 pixels, which should serve the purpose of cropping as you suggested but it did not work.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else have any suggestions... I realize that Peter is able to do what I am trying to do but that is like saying.. "I can't swim" and someone else simply says, "Oh, I can swim fine, watch...."  I am still drowning and if anyone else has any constructive suggestions I would appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ed, it's difficult to know how to guide you, because I have no idea what your knowledge level is, and I don't know for sure just how you've built what you've built. I've been trying to discover the source of the problem.

Could you, please, open the Brushes panel, click and hold on your original brush, drag it onto the artboard and, while it's still selected, take a screenshot and share it? Or, even better, upload the file to Dropbox or other file-sharing site and provide a link?

I think the answer lies in understanding the structure of pattern brushes. At the very back (bottom) of the stack the makes up the components of the pattern brush is a rectangle with no stroke and no fill. When the user applies the brush to a path Illustrator puts instances of the tile along the path such that those invisible rectangles are centered on the path butt against each other end-to-end. If the user does not provide the no-stroke/no-fill rectangle, Illustrator generates one that encloses the entire object. If the pattern object(s) includes invisible content, such as outside a clipping mask, that content will be included in the enclosed area. Thus, when two pattern tiles come together, there may be a gap in the visible content where there is none in the invisible. The solution, then, would be to add your own no-stroke/no-fill rectangle at the back of the stack before creating the brush.

Alternatively, drag the brush from the Brushes panel, locate and select the no-stroke/no-fill rectangle in the Layers panel, and adjust its size so that the visible ends of the brush meet properly when applied to a path.

This is really more difficult to explain than it is to do. If you need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines