• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with gradient tool in live paint

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the gradient tool in live paint over intricate and large areas.  This tool works in Ilustrator 2018, but not current versions.  If there is no fix can someone show me how to render different areas in live paint with graidient effects.  I primarily use Illustrator to render site plans.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can't apply gradients at all? Or is it just the gradient annotator that doesn't work? Which kinds of gradients? And what are you referring to as gradient effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,

I can apply the gradient, I just can't adjust it when I select areas I need with the same gradient.  For example, if I use a radial gradient in a live paint group and I want it to radiate from the center of my illustration,  (in AI 2018), I would:

1. pick my areas with the same gradient using live paint selection tool

2. pick gradient tool from the Tool Bar

3. place my arrow at the center of the page, drag it away and done

This does not work in AI 2019 or AI 2020.

Is there another way to do this in those 2 versions in live paint?

Thank you for your responce and your time it is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like a bug.

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, other post have mentioned and my previous cries for help have not fixed.  Any way around it?  Using AI2018 is fine, but I feel like I am missing out on new upgrades in latest versions.

Thanks again for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you have to use the live paint selection tool and then change the gradient properties with the gradient panel (and press CMND H if you want to hide the selected area)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugenio,

Thank you for your responce.  Ok I select my areas with live paint selection tool and change gradient properties, but I can't collectively change all areas, meaning if I wanted a radial gradient it would radiate centrally from each piece, not treating all similar gradiant fills as one object and radiate from a specific location.

and what is CMND H?

Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Problem, glad to help you

Command H (keys) or Control H on PC will hide the selections to see the gradient. If you are using the live paint selection tool.

If you select with the direct selection tool (white arrow) you can select the shapes and then change all the gradients at the same time

Could you share an screenshot to understand more about what do you want

Regards

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

samplesample

This is basically what I do.  All the green within the site is one gradient,  All the green outside the site is another.  One radial the other linear, respectfully.  Radial gradiant is centrally located, while the linear gradiant starts from upper left side of page to bottom right side.  The basic areas are in live paint while the rest (buildings, striping and landscape) are on other layers/groups.  Can't be done in AI 2019/AI 2020.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks super nice,

Ok, select the black arrow and double click over the live paint group to isolate the group

Hold the shift and select all the shapes with the same gradient

Now select the Gradient tool and you can drag over all gradients

LMK if that works

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how you would normally do it, doesn't work in AI 2019/AI2020.  Once you select using live paint selection tool and then select gradient tool you will get the cross hairs, but when you click and drag nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have automatic updates set so I should be up to date, unless there is a specific script to fix this specific problem that I need.

Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to chime in on this because I, too, use this technique. Constantly. On all my art. And it is driving me nuts (just like you!!) that a feature I relied on is not working. It's made me keep the 2018 around, just so I can do my thing. Any word??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CM,

I gave up.  I exclusively use AI CC2018.  I had to turn off auto updates, because any auto update would get rid of 2018 and then I would have to contact Adobe and get 2018 reinstalled.  I check back once in awhile to complain, but thus far it has only fallen on deaf ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep. Same. Fist bump, fren. ADOBE!!! What have you got to say for yourself?! Here I've been using this thing since 1993, is this all you can do for me?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines