Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

need help with Grouped objects and blending

Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on an isometric illustration with rows of solar panels which is basically a long blue object with separate stands which I've grouped together. I then moved a copy down my iso grid, selected both and went to 'Object>blend>' only to find that 'Make' was greyed out. Any idea why this might be?
Appreciate any help.
Regards, Michael

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 08.26.32.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Michael,

There may be an easy way to move many times exactly as desired, if you know the angle and the distance at that angle (it seems to be 30 degrees from horizontal, but can be any), Smart Guides being your friends:

1) With the Line Tool Click somewhere and set the distance and the angle (you may have to use +/- or add/subtract to/from 90/180/whichever degrees to get it right;

2) ClickDrag the line to a key Anchor Point on the original Group (Smart Guides say anchor when you are within s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please put these two elements into a document and upload that to Dropbox, Creative Cloud or the like?

Would be easiest to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

Appreciate the response. Sorry (bit old school) but I think I can see how you upload a file to the creative cloud but then how is it shared?

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

Meant to get back and say that I solved the problem using the move tool but thanks for your help all the same. So many helpful and supportive people on the Community forum.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

As far as I can see you moved it (the Group formed by the upper left objects I presume) off the grid, the lower left copy seemingly a bit higher, relatively.

Apart from that, there seems to be only one Group (Solar panels) containing both.

What shows if you expand the view of that Group in the Layers palette (two identical Groups, or something different)? That may hold a clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob

Thanks for getting back and, yes, both are grouped separately. I think you're right and that they're not properly aligned which I've found trying to work out the precise offset x-y coordinates on an angle hard to achieve.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Michael.

How about the expanded view of those Groups in the Layers palette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob. As far as I can tell they're properly grouped – wouldn't be anything to do with Live Paint which I've just started using? Layers panel and grouped solar panel copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

There may be an easy way to move many times exactly as desired, if you know the angle and the distance at that angle (it seems to be 30 degrees from horizontal, but can be any), Smart Guides being your friends:

1) With the Line Tool Click somewhere and set the distance and the angle (you may have to use +/- or add/subtract to/from 90/180/whichever degrees to get it right;

2) ClickDrag the line to a key Anchor Point on the original Group (Smart Guides say anchor when you are within snapping distance), then Lock the line (in the Layers palette);

3) Alt/OptionClickDrag (a copy of) the Group by the key Anchor Point to snap to the otther end of the line;

Now you have the original Group and one copy;

4) Object>Transform>Move with the numbers already there, click Copy;

Now you have the original Group and two copies;

5) Ctrl/Cmd+D to repeat 4 as many times as needed for the full number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry, Jacob, that I didn't reply to your contribution – you must think me very remiss – but I've been having problems with email notifications but I will try your very valuable suggestion.

Regards

Michael 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Michael, and no need to be sorry. It is always a pleasure to see threads reappear (recently I saw one from 2009). Time is not of the essence here.

I hope you will report your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll definitley let you know, Jacob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines