• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with the eraser tool on Illustrator

New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Illustrator (more familiar with regular Photoshop). I create simple images using the paintbrush tool to create outlines. When I try to clean up the lines (just small mistakes or "fudging" lines) the eraser won't take off what I need it to. The area that I try to erase either pops back up (like I didn't do anything) or I have to overshoot the line and the eraser completely divides it. 

Also, when using Photoshop, I was able to use the eraser tools to make "thick or thins" lines... meaning that they had a brushed, calligraphy end tail look. I can't figure out how to do that with Illustrator. When I try, the eraser just shortens the end of my line and leaves it round (instead of feathered.)

Basically, I just need to do detail work on a paintbrush line with Illustrator. 

I'm grateful for any suggestions or knowledge anyone may have!

Thanks! 🙂

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eraser tool in Illustrator won't work like the one in Photoshop.

Just forget about Photoshop when working in Illustrator.

And please show your artwork before and after using the eraser. Please include the appearance panel so we can see what kind of brush is applied to your paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main thing to remember is that the eraser in Illustrator works on paths, not appearances. If you don't know the distinction between those things, you will have a hard time with the eraser and Illustrator in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And just in case there may be a danger of confusion: There is an Erase tool (your description sounds a bit as if you are using it) and an Eraser tool.

The Eraser tool is pretty "new" compared to the Erase tool which actually is a dinosaur that is probably just used by a dozen of Illustrator users worldwide.

Both tools work in a different way and both unfortunately will not work as you may expect (as per your request).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines