Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with turning a logo into a single transparent object

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm still fairly new to Illustrator and I had a question regarding a project for a client. I created this logo for a business and they loved it but they would like a version that is transparent (only the strokes will be seen). And I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this.

First I tried to use simply remove the fills from all of the petals in the rose, but that reveald all of the underlying layers, which doesn't work for my purposes. Then I tried to make the entire logo filled with white (as seen below), which I was planning on merging together, and then selecting all of the white areas from the flattened image and deleting, but I can't seem to get that to work either without turning the layers into raster art first. To be clear my background in in Photoshop, and I understand that vector and raster art are very different things. I feel like my plan is more inline with PS, but I do want this logo to be rescalable as a vector. So I guess I could use any help or suggestions on how to achieve this goal. Thanks!

test.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Joshua,

How about the good old Knockout group?

1) Select all the paths and in the Appearance palette click the white Fill to select (only that), then in the Transparency palette set the Opacity to 0,

2) Ctrl/Cmd+G to Group everything,

3) In the Transparency palette tick Knockout Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

You need to first outline all effects and outline all strokes. And then you can use Pathfinder Merge.

Then delete what you don't need.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many ways, but you could try to select your logo, choose the Shape Builder Tool (Shift M) and while holding down the Alt key drag over the white areas to remove them.

You can turn on View > Show Transparency Grid to see the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joshua,

How about the good old Knockout group?

1) Select all the paths and in the Appearance palette click the white Fill to select (only that), then in the Transparency palette set the Opacity to 0,

2) Ctrl/Cmd+G to Group everything,

3) In the Transparency palette tick Knockout Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. The problem with both of those solutions is that the underlying strokes from the other layers of petals all show through. I did try to merge all of the layers together using the pathfinder "merge" option (then knocking out the white), however several of the petals suddenly lost their strokes. I found a temporary solution by exporting to PS, and then simply selecting the white shades and deleting them, and saving as a transparent SVG. It's not really how I want to do it, because I'm worried all of my lines are now pixelated. But the client is happy with the work. (It's a friend too, so she knows I'm learning. No pressure on a deadline). But still I'd like to figure out how to do this more easily for future projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to first outline all effects and outline all strokes. And then you can use Pathfinder Merge.

Then delete what you don't need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thank you that fixed it. I wasn't creating outlines. Awesome, this looks perfect. TY again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joshua,

Are you sure you followed all the steps exactly and in order? The underlying strokes remain visible until you tick Knockout Group in 3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awww yes I missed the Knockout group checkmark. ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found an even easier way of doing this haha. Just export everything to a large PNG, select all the white areas in PS, delete. Save as a PNG, import new PNG into AI, use the trace plugin, and simply create a who object out of only the black outlines of the logo. Exactly what I was trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That way might look easier, but doesn't produce quality results. So it's not recommended to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Joshua.

And what Monika said. Just try to zoom in and compare (see also the number of Anchor Points). Especially working for others and especially in connexion with logos, full quality is crucial, such as (given away when zooming in) in the moon(like) parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines