Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with white logo vectorization in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy Monday everyone.

Freshman illustrator here. Image trace has been incredible but I have issues with logos that include white font. Can anyone offer guidance on the proper way to vectorize white font (or logos for that mater)? Right now, I upload the image then select image trace, then add color. I've included an example logo. After running it through image trace I seem to lose the white "Legacy" all together.

Thanks in advance.

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Thank you pixxxel_schubser. 

UPDATE for any on-lookers. Both options work. After a small learning curve, pixxxel_schubser's recommendation will be the version I use most often (after quickly trying image trace). If image trace doesnt work, identify the font used, recolor to black and then again to white after making corrections. I have had some luck with https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ when identfying fonts.

Thanks to all for the guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Embed the PNG. Then use Edit > Edit Colors > Convert.

Trace in Black and white.

Expand the trace, delete the background and then apply the colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika. I will try asap. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly the better way: recreate with a similar font  -  instead of tracing

eg with Black Ops One Regular font

Black_Ops_One_Regular.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you pixxxel_schubser. 

UPDATE for any on-lookers. Both options work. After a small learning curve, pixxxel_schubser's recommendation will be the version I use most often (after quickly trying image trace). If image trace doesnt work, identify the font used, recolor to black and then again to white after making corrections. I have had some luck with https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ when identfying fonts.

Thanks to all for the guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

as you quickly found out,  masterhalfwit"image-trace" is simply a tool … albeit, a powerful tool.  ever looked at some logo warehouses on the internet?  such as those hosting mcdonalds and nationwide-insurance and others?  while the logos may/mayn’t be in vector format … open one in illustrator … i’d say roughly 95% lack integrity.  one can easily discern practically every logo has been image-traced … with, sometime, hideous results*.  even some coat-of-arms and family-crests and other heraldry are plagued by the same refuse.

i do agree with your prognosis … in this case, recreating the image is far superior,  masterhalfwit.  you can retain the font-characters on hidden layer … creating outlines on normal layer when ready for print.  if client should change one word or the entire font … having the font on hidden layer allows for quick modification.  as for the font emulator on myfonts.com … i’ve used it quite a bit in the past and will continue forward.

*as example … d/l the *.svg file at https://worldvectorlogo.com/logo/nationwide … open within illustrator … enlarge the character “n” or character “” … soon become evident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines