Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need some advice on using seamless pattern swatches

Participant ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

This is a question about using seamless patterns that are created in Adobe Illustrator. 

I am using seamless pattern swatches in Adobe Illustrator for apparel and other merchandise. I am having a few issues creating items such as Skater Skirts (making sure that the main elements are not cut off too much at the seams, since most of my elements are large florals and I don't like the effect of this). The template that I am using is mostly curved at the sides and at the top and there are two pieces that get sewn together (front and back) at the sides.

I am curious as to whether or not there is a way to edit or manipulate a pattern swatch (changing around the elements therein) after it is being uploaded on a shape in an artboard in Illustrator (aka the template). If I cannot do this, what is recommended that I do in order to make the end result (Skater Skirt) as professional as possible?

I have included the template of the Skater Skirt here in this post.

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

So am I right in thinking once you have used the swatch you want to move individual element within the are therefore moving the actual pattern.

If it is for individual projects you could always expand it, so select the shape and then go to Object>Expand> Expand fill, this will make it all editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this video and see if that helps with your issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHbtJYaDfqk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Thanks for your response. The info in the video was quite useful.

But I want to know if there is a way that I can use a pattern swatch and then be able to manually move some elements around afterwards. I doubt that this is possible, however I was wondering if there was something I can do to it right after I use the pattern swatch on the artboard itself (for the template) that would enable me to edit some elements. I want to arrange some things around so that none of the elements get cut off at the seams (the ones that I want to keep within the safe printable area). I know that I can erase items, but is there a way to free them up to be able to move them around after uploading the swatch to the new artboard?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So am I right in thinking once you have used the swatch you want to move individual element within the are therefore moving the actual pattern.

If it is for individual projects you could always expand it, so select the shape and then go to Object>Expand> Expand fill, this will make it all editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. It worked, but I have to play with it a bit (putting it in isolation by double clicking a lot to isolate the individual elements and previously ungrouping once all the elements are displaying in their grouped (and editable) form). So thanks so much ... I think this is a good solution for me.

Have an awesome day 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines