• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nesting Character Styles in Illustrator?

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator CC, is it possible to nest Character Styles within a Paragraph Style like in InDesign?

I'd like to format a "Monogram" text block so it retains its format when the text is replaced by pasting from the clipboard.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, you cannot do what you are asking. why don't you work in indesign for the text and have the illustration placed in the layout and linked? it will give you the set up you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jonathan. This is for a production process. All our templates are in AI. Moving between AI and INDD is not practical for the specific tasks we're performing. I'm sure there's a scripting solution.

My solution was to create a Character Style for the center character (assigned with an AI Action). Since AI Actions do not recognize typing I used a third-party macro tool (Keyboard Maestro) to do the rest.

Monogram_Macro.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats cool.. nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i added this to my bookmarks since this is a good solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan, I've since eliminated the Styles, in favor of a simple AI Action. It's simpler to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share that action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the action does is reset the point size and baseline shift. The action is run within a Keyboard Maestro macro (required because AI Actions won't record keystrokes). it is the next best thing to scripting. Here's a screen image of the macro as it is built in Keyboard Maestro. This allow us to use variables in addition to actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup: Because Character Styles cannot be made "Persistent" as "Brush Libraries" can, I updated the Character settings in the Action itself. Still have to use Keyboard Maestro since typing is not "Actionable". Works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you put in a feature request on User Voice, please post the link here so we can vote!

Illustrator Feature Requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. I just feel like Adobe is too focused on whisbang features to spend time adding "InDesign" features in AI. And I haven't seen a meaningful update to Actions in ions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about

var aDoc = app.activeDocument;

var aSel = app.selection;

var smallStyle = aDoc.characterStyles["Small Cap"];

var largeStyle = aDoc.characterStyles["Large Cap"];

smallStyle.applyTo(aSel[0].textRange);

largeStyle.applyTo(aSel[0].textRange.characters[1]);

required: a selected text frame with 3 characters and your characters styles Small Cap and Large Cap should be present in the document

If this is a little bit useful for you

Have fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank, pixxxel! I'm so envious of people who can script. It's a skill I just have not acquired… yet.

My little workaround works for now, but I'll try to learn from what you've shared here.

Because we have an extensive library of templates that don't contain Character Styles, I think an Action is easier to deploy.

BTW, I'm also dependant on Keyboard Maestro to make it work (great for us scripting-challenged users).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rcraighead  schrieb

… we have an extensive library of templates that don't contain Character Styles, I think an Action is easier to deploy …

You don't need Character Styles. (But it is easier to handle with them).

Do you have an example file and a detailed description for me before and after. Little things are also important (if necessary, PM me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we need this feature as well.

we are saving INDD files as PDFs to place in AI but it would be much easier to layout the type within AI and avoid the ID altogether.

so where is the User Voice and I'll recommend so we can all vote on it.

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marks55678522  wrote

so where is the User Voice and I'll recommend so we can all vote on it.

Here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really just like every type setting from ID in Illustrator, but I think that's unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep asking them to do that as a feature request, this and inline graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I stumbled on to this old post and thought I'd share a script we now use for creating a Monogram. It assumes there is "Placeolder text" in the target file. Come a long way since posting the original question. Scripting is my new passion thanks in large part to the people on this forum.

function setMonograms(whichPIN, theLayer, mFrame, monoText, maxMono) {
    //Macro: Enter Layout Text
    var aDoc = app.activeDocument;
    //"whichPIN" is either 1 or 2. If it is 1 "whichPIN" is reset to null
    //to match the naming convention in the OneUp Template Layer names
    if (whichPIN == 1) {
        whichPIN = "";
    }
    var targetFrame;
    try {
        var aLayer = aDoc.layers[theLayer];
        //If there any characters in "monoText" variable
        if (monoText.length > 0) {
            aLayer.visible = true;
            //Define target monogram text placeholder text frame as "targetFrame"
            targetFrame = aDoc.textFrames[mFrame + whichPIN];
            targetFrame.hidden = false;
            //Fill "targetFrame" with "monogram text"
            targetFrame.contents = monoText;
            //Re-size center character to defined size (maxMono)
            setMidLetter();
            function setMidLetter() {
                myLetter = targetFrame.textRange.characters[1].characterAttributes;
                // myLetter.size = maxMono;
                myLetter.size = maxMono;
                myLetter.baselineShift = 0;
                redraw();
            }

} else {
            //If there's no monogram remove the monogram placeholder
            targetFrame.remove();
        }
    } catch (e) {}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines