• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Script Dimensions Illustrator

Enthusiast ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have completed the Illustrator version of the Dimensions script. Get it at the link below. Like the InDesign version, the script makes dimension marks in Illustrator.

It may be helpful to view the conversation about the InDesign version: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/new-script-dimensions-indesign/td-p/12026461

In that conversation is a link to a video showing how it works, which mostly applies to the Illustrator version as well. There are a few differences. Soon I'll make a new video dedicated to the Illustrator version.

To download, and how to use the script, visit http://www.marspremedia.com/software/illustrator/dimensions-illustrator

How to use the script may be obvious, but I suggest users read the section "Further reading: differences from the InDesign version of the script." This explains important differences that were not obvious to my test users, until I explained what the script does. At least review this section of the page: http://www.marspremedia.com/software/illustrator/dimensions-illustrator#further-reading

This is version 1.0 so I fully expect something won't work right. Please let me know, in this conversation or website contact page. All feedback is welcome.

Thank you all for your interest and support.

William Campbell
TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Enthusiast , Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Got it fixed. At least by my light testing. Please download and help me ensure it's working OK. I would appreciate it.

Updated version 3.6 on website now...

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/illustrator/dimensions-illustrator

THANK YOU for your feedback. I wouldn't know otherwise until next time using the script myself. Let me know if any other trouble with it. I'll get right on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

I've been so busy I forgot to come back here and post a link to the the video, which is now done.

https://youtu.be/6mOVh3YALYw

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Can't you just select the right path points with a Lasso tool, for example, and run the Move panel?

move.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

@babynoogz 

or simple write in the control bar (x or y coordinate) your desired value after the current value - in your case: +1/4 inch

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Maybe you can adapt it to photoshop ?

Regards

Panagiotis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that's like driving a nail with a screwdriver. I suppose a bit of the functionality could be implemented in Photoshop. But measurements of what? Layer bounds? A selection? It's just so different of an environment from vector editing programs. And there would have to be considerable demand to justify the great time it would take to code (ID and AI versions were about 6 months of my time... very intensive work). Besides, one could always create dimensions in either ID or AI and rasterize the result in Photoshop. probably the path of least resistance.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mars and Will,

Thank you so much for creating this, it's extremely helpful.
I'm getting a storage error though, "Line 2187: undefined is not an object". What can this be about? I have selected just a normal rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, sorry, I mistook "Mars Premedia" for other creator's name, and can't find the way to edit the first reply, my bad ;))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just noticed that the error shows up if I change the colour in the "Dimensions" Paragraph Style to any other than the "Dimensions" swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm looking at it now. It's from a change earlier today to work around another problem when undo and make dimensions again, text comes out white because Illustrator undo leaves behind the paragraph style, but not its color (makes it blank, zero cmyk). Working on adjustment right now, and just about have it figured out. I'll post an update to my website any time now... and I will post here when it's ready. Won't be too long.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it fixed. At least by my light testing. Please download and help me ensure it's working OK. I would appreciate it.

Updated version 3.6 on website now...

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/illustrator/dimensions-illustrator

THANK YOU for your feedback. I wouldn't know otherwise until next time using the script myself. Let me know if any other trouble with it. I'll get right on it.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's nice, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will,

admittedly, I somehow missed your initial post until today.

I dare say that your dimensions script is one of the most thoroughly designed Illustrator scripts I've ever seen.

Thank you very much. It's a true gift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad the effort shows. A LOT went into this script and the InDesign version.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very impressive work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your support. The positive response keeps me writing new scripts. More to come soon!

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been so busy I forgot to come back here and post a link to the the video, which is now done.

https://youtu.be/6mOVh3YALYw

Enjoy.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great script!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you looking forward to try it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Cambell, is there a way for Illistrator to remember the script so I dont have to file, script, other .... each time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way is to add it to Illustrator. Then it appears in the scripts menu. I have two videos showing how, one for macOS, another for Windows.

macOS: https://youtu.be/DGMYAdv4N4k

Windows: https://youtu.be/_RImYICaoFw

Even better is to get the plugin "JSX Launcher" in the Adobe Marketplace. In the Creative Cloud Desktop app, click "Stock & Marketplace." Select "Plugins" and search for "JSX Launcher".

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please disreguard the previous request, I found where they go.  thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

The script was working fine, the last time I checked. But now this eror pops up. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. Also tried moving script to another folder. Still no luck. Need Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the Illustrator 26.4 update to blame. I'm working on it now with 2 other users. Just got some test results from one of them. The 26.4 update, for tabbed panels, selection, no longer has the property 'index' that tells which tab it is. So when reading it to save settings, it gets the 'undefined' error. I am working on a interim fix at the moment. I'll have an update ready probably later today.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 5.6 is available on the web page

http://www.marspremedia.com/software/illustrator/dimensions-illustrator

This version has a workaround for AI 26.4. Just the last tab used won't be remembered until Adobe fixes the ExtendScript bug. It will always open to the Dimensions tab.

Any questions message me through my website: http://www.marspremedia.com/contact/

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William, but did the "tabbedpanel" object ever have the "selection.index" property? I have checked different ScriptUI documentation sources. I find that only "index" has "dropdownlist", "listbox", "treeview".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I add the missing index property during object creation. This is common in JavaScript. If the property already exits, the value is stored in it. If not, a new propery is added to the object and the value is stored in it. The code for these particular scripts has worked fine the last year and half in Ilustrator and InDesign. It was the 26.4 AI update when it stopped working. Here is a simple example of what my codes does. This script runs without error in ID all versions (I've tested) and AI prior to 26.4. The latest version of AI now index is undefined.

var w = new Window("dialog", "Tabbed Panel Test");
var tp; // tabbed panel
var tabs = [];
tp = w.add("tabbedpanel");
tabs[0] = tp.add("tab");
tabs[0].text = "Tab 0";
tabs[0].index = 0;
tabs[1] = tp.add("tab");
tabs[1].text = "Tab 1";
tabs[1].index = 1;
tabs[2] = tp.add("tab");
tabs[2].text = "Tab 2";
tabs[2].index = 2;
tp.onChange = function () {
    alert(tp.selection.index);
};
var btnOk = w.add("button", undefined, "OK");
btnOk.onClick = w.close;
w.show();

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines