• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to AI need help on how to edit the font on a file that I saved

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several files that I saved. I opened a few of them and I cannot change the font. I am very new to Illustrator and I may just be missing something. Please HELP...

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

If you have converted text to outlines there is no way back at all.

There are hardly a reason for outlining text, it becomes uneditable anywhere, it's not text anymore.

Those paths resemble text but are just paths with anchor points, but not text.

Type information or references are lost, nowhere the font names are stored. Hinting is lost too. File Size increases,...

If you do not have a case for it, never outline text.

Solution, Type again and edit. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved as .ai (illustrator file format)? On the same computer?, with fonts available there and not converted to outlines?

To change the font of some text, select it using the Type tool or the selectión tool for a text object.

When you try that, slect some text, the top Control bar shows the font used. Correct? the dropdown window shows many others. What happens when you choose any other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.. Saved as an Ai file on the same computer..  I did create outlines when I saved the file (and fonts are available..). If I have to undo that I am not sure how to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and the control bar does not show the text I used.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have converted text to outlines there is no way back at all.

There are hardly a reason for outlining text, it becomes uneditable anywhere, it's not text anymore.

Those paths resemble text but are just paths with anchor points, but not text.

Type information or references are lost, nowhere the font names are stored. Hinting is lost too. File Size increases,...

If you do not have a case for it, never outline text.

Solution, Type again and edit. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow.. Thank you for that. All a part of learning I guess. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I was driving myself crazy trying to figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please mark the Correct Answer line at the bottom, to get it displayed on the Forum. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to good information shared above, I'd request checking out this help article as well to know more about fonts & troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines