newbie question: can Illustrator take complex InDesign graphics + text, and skew them, all together?

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm creating a book mostly in InDesign, for which newspaper headlines and entries help to locate the reader in time and place, and further the storyline (in a lighthearted way). And it's been easy: I've created newpaper type headlines and banners, and added photos, under which I've written captions and breathy news-reporter-style text entries, etc. And then I've added these to blank newspaper page stockshots that I've purchased from Shutterstock. It all looks quite real, even if it is (truly) "fake news".

But now I've got a challenge, with my very first 'newspaper' entry (so I want it to be a good one). 

As with all the other newspaper entries, I've got my twenty-some graphic elements (headlines, subheadlines, main text bodies, photos, captions, lines, banners, etc., that I created in InDesign). They're all organized in the right jig-saw-puzzle like mix to fit, in this case, into the top half of a folded newspaper. Except that in this particular case, when I add them to the blank folded newspaper, they don't look right—the InDesign elements are all 'flat', while the background photograph of the folded newspaper is LYING AT AN ANGLE—the left edge of the newspaper is closer than the right edge. The newspaper is "skewed", if that's the right word.

My question is—is Illustrator the right app for adding my InDesign-designed text-and-graphics to this angled newspaper background? I had a quick look at Photoshop, which I have only ever used for getting rid of backgrounds and cropping, and I know there are skewing options galore, but it seemed to me that you have to create the text you want to skew in Photoshop. That's great if all you want to add is some lines of text. But I want to add my twenty-odd InDesign-created elements all of a piece, as a whole, if you know what I mean, with all the fonts and whatnot intact.

I'm thinking that Illustrator might allow me to import my InDesign text-and-graphics as one element, and 'skew' them all together, as one.

Is that the case? Would it be quite easy to do?

Thanks for any advice,

Malcolm

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it with simple copy (from InDesign) and paste (to an Illustrator artboard), of a fairly complex layout of text and graphics. The problem is, probably due to the disparate type engines, it requires converting all the pasted text to outlines before it can be Free-Transformed to match the perspective of your newspage. 

You could also probably do this by placing an InDesign-exported PDF of the layout, but it looks like you'd still have the same problem with live text. So if you need the text to stay searchable, this may not be suitable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

omg John. This sounds ideal. I don't need the text to be searchable, so I'll try the pdf export first I think. I'll report back once I've tried it (I might not be able to try anything right away as I'm being called away to work outside). 

Thank you for all the advice!

Malcolm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines