Highlighted

Newbie Question: Cannot get grid tool to match grid set in preferences

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm still learning illustrator (Photoshopper here) and I'm having a problem with the grid tool vs the grid I set up in my preferences as the guide. This is for a pattern so I really need a printable grid in the background that lines up with my objects. Both the grid tool and the grid (guide) are set to:

Gridline: every 1 inch

Dividers: 6

Any help to fix this would be very appreciated.

Screenshot 2019-06-08 at 19.11.58.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Newbie Question: Cannot get grid tool to match grid set in preferences

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm still learning illustrator (Photoshopper here) and I'm having a problem with the grid tool vs the grid I set up in my preferences as the guide. This is for a pattern so I really need a printable grid in the background that lines up with my objects. Both the grid tool and the grid (guide) are set to:

Gridline: every 1 inch

Dividers: 6

Any help to fix this would be very appreciated.

Screenshot 2019-06-08 at 19.11.58.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 08, 2019 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elisabeth,

You may ignore the grid in the preferences, and do it in one of a few ways:

A) With the Grid Tool to form an outer square/rectangle with inner lines as a Group:

1) Click on the Artboard with the Grid Tool, set the total size of the desired printable grid and set the number of dividers in each direction to the number of squares less one to create the whole grid as a Group in one go;

2) Deselect and with the Selection Tool ClickDrag the Group to snap to the origin of the Artboard.

B) With Effect to form (only) separate full lines:

1) Click on the Artboard with the Line Segment Tool and set the Length to the desired width of the Grid and set the Angle to 90 degrees (or create such a line in another way), then Effect>Distort & Transform, set the Horizontal Move to the size of the squares and the Copies to their number;

2) Object>Expand Appearance, then Object>Transform>Rotate by 90 degrees and click Copy;

3) Select everything and Ctrl/Cmd+G if you wish to have the grid as a Group.

There are other ways.

Some say that Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator) moves in mysterious ways, one of her ways being that with the grid

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Thanks so much for your response. Indeed, Illustrator seems to move in mysterious ways to me.

I cannot ignore the gird set by preferences because this is the grid guide (if you will) that I am using to produce my pattern. I need it as each square is a portion of the pattern. I need a printable grid that duplicates this grid so those her purchase the pattern can follow the pattern. Does that make sense?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2019 0
Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elizabeth,

Apologizing for the long delay, I have pondered over the (hidden) meaning and reinterpreted the original description and screenshot.

As I (mis)understand it now, you have the guides in place, one for each 1/6 inch, but the grid to be printed gives you grief.

My guess is that you have used the Grid Tool more or less similarly to my suggestion A) in the first post, but you have set the wrong number of dividers. It has to be one less than the intended number of squares in the Grid, and my guess is that you have set it to be equal to the intended number of squares, which gives you one square too many; you can try to count them if the Grid width/height is not too large.

To simplify your viewing things, you may RightClick the Ruler and temporarily set the Unit to Picas in the dropdown, which will give you the correct Gridlines at whole numbers; you can just reset to Inches afterwards. 1 Pica = 1/6 inch, the intended distance between gridlines.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I was having the same problem. SOLVED. Phew!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, kplicanic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for asking this question and for phrasing it in such a way that when I googled for the same problem, I found this thread!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0