Highlighted

Newest Illustrator Gradient Tool Changes, what the what? Help.

Participant ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I just now updated to the newest update of illustrator and I'm trying to work on a file the same as I have for the last ten years and lo and behold, they've give a whole new set of commands to my gradient tool.

Here's the big problem that I am having.  I'll create a couple objects and set them with gradients, then I will deselect those objects.  They should be free and clear.  However, when I try to then alter the gradient I was previously using, it alters the existing deselected objects!  What the @#$(Q*#$!!!!.  I don't want objects that aren't selected to be altered.  I want to change up the gradient to apply to a new object, not the previous ones.  I want to base the new object gradient off of the previous one as a starting point.  This was never a problem before.

Secondly, I used to be able to simply drag and drop a new color over an existing color in the gradient bar.  It isn't letting me do that anymore.  Instead, it just adds the new color alongside the existing color instead of flat out replacing it.  Why??????  I truly hate when they "fix" things that weren't broken in the first place.  Help?

For an example of the kind of work I do and how in depth I use gradients, here's a look. I need my gradients to work in a user friendly way again.  I gots work to do!80

Hello ,

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.3 .
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

Ankit Goyal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Newest Illustrator Gradient Tool Changes, what the what? Help.

Participant ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I just now updated to the newest update of illustrator and I'm trying to work on a file the same as I have for the last ten years and lo and behold, they've give a whole new set of commands to my gradient tool.

Here's the big problem that I am having.  I'll create a couple objects and set them with gradients, then I will deselect those objects.  They should be free and clear.  However, when I try to then alter the gradient I was previously using, it alters the existing deselected objects!  What the @#$(Q*#$!!!!.  I don't want objects that aren't selected to be altered.  I want to change up the gradient to apply to a new object, not the previous ones.  I want to base the new object gradient off of the previous one as a starting point.  This was never a problem before.

Secondly, I used to be able to simply drag and drop a new color over an existing color in the gradient bar.  It isn't letting me do that anymore.  Instead, it just adds the new color alongside the existing color instead of flat out replacing it.  Why??????  I truly hate when they "fix" things that weren't broken in the first place.  Help?

For an example of the kind of work I do and how in depth I use gradients, here's a look. I need my gradients to work in a user friendly way again.  I gots work to do!80

Hello ,

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.3 .
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

Ankit Goyal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 27, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can‘t reproduce these issues on Mac OS Sierra.

It‘s either your system that really is not functioning well with CC2019 or the Illustrator preferences might have been messed up. You can try and rename the preferences folder to try if that repairs it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Greeting from Adobe.

Thanks for reporting this issue.We are able to reproduce this issue in house and sent it to engineering team for further investigation.

Kindly use following workaround meanwhile for the Deselected active gradient object : "Kindly click on the gradient bar in Gradient panel before editing the active gradient" .

Regards

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Illustrator 23.0.4 (high sierra 10.13.6) and the gradient bar is the issue.  i want to I just want to change a color in a 2-color gradient via drag-n-drop and now i have this fat bar with location and opacity sliders that only a responsive 50% of the time.  then i have to figure out how to just get the bar back down to skinny by randomly clicking around.  What a pain in the butt.  like the rest  of these posts, i'm confused about why you have to mess with something that worked fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2019 0
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing that issue.

Have you tried restoring your Illustrator preferences as I suggested above?

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one of the first things i did and repeated after i read your post.  nothing improved so tonight i uninstalled and then reinstalled the software.   Using it tonight, it's like a different piece of software all together.  Moves quick on saves and the gradient issue was... knock on wood, "fixed" i hope.  The strange bars for opacity and location aren't there anymore. Perhaps the uninstall removed any troublesome files that contributed to the glitch and the new install brought everything up to snuff.  I hadn't done a clean install on the software for a year and the updates just kept coming.  It was good to know that i wasn't the only one with weird gradient issues and the suggestions were of use.  Thanks Steve.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gradient tool didn't work for me too.

Not only did it refuse to let me change the direction of the gradient in a Live Paint object,

it crashed my whole system.

I've had to uninstall the damned 2019 version and revert to the more stable 2018 one (v.22.1).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am frustrated with multiple issues with the Gradient Tool in 19 (23.0.1)

1. The above problem is horrible. It seems the gradient takes precedence over the object as if it's being seen as a style. So when that gradient is in 4 objects they are linked whether selected or not. I will always dupe an object and then edit it but my edit is applied to the unselected objects with the original gradient in some global way. It is maddening and needs to be independent in each object unless I select each object.
  2. I am also having issues with "Shift Key" to constrain the gradient direction not working. I work in isometric and need my gradients to be precise and constrained to the angles I have set. IT DOES NOT WORK anymore.
  3. As also mentioned above RE: dragging a new color to a spot on the gradient bar in the gradient pallet. Half the time it adds the color rather than replaces it. This is primarily an issue with the colors at the end of the bar and mostly the left side. So the round spot doesn't highlight and when you drop the color it puts it on top. And you don't know this until you move it and suddenly you have an odd color in your art that you did not expect.
  4. I like to sample colors in a gradient and click them in the color pallet to make the selected object that solid color. I use to get the little color pallet below the line and fill icon. Now I don't and I have to it the clear/no fill icon and then it shows up.
  5. When I am using the "Gradient Annotator" in a piece of art. It has become impossible to select the ends to stretch the annotator bar. It use to select easily but now the color circles seem so big the select and move when I am trying to select the ends of the bar.

All these things have made the Gradient tool more cumbersome and time-consuming to use. And in some cases disastrous.  Please address these issues ASAP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2019 2
Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report this to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2019 0
Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been fixed yet? It's killing my workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2019 1