Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Area Type Tool??

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just got updated to most recent version of CC (Illustrator v.20.3.4) and  trying to work with Area Type Tool but it appears to be missing? When I select the Type options from the tool bar the below is all I see:

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 7.57.37 AM.png

I have never had to change/add configure this menu before. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

It's not really clear what your objectives are, but in any case:

surveillanceame  wrote

I have only used previous versions of Illustrator that had the ATT in the toolbar.

It's in your current version too. Click the 3 dots at the bottom of the Tools bar , then the panel menu at the top-right of the resulting fly-out, and choose Advanced.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

try change your workspace to Essentials Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tools can be rearranged in recent versions of Illustrator. Click on the ... icon at the bottom of Tools or choose Window > Toolbars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS! My tools were defaulted to the 'basic' tools. I had to go into tools and select 'advanced' and WALA! It was there. THANK YOU SO MUCH! You saved me literally hours of tears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Steve's answer on how to change the tool bar.

But actually: nobody needs the area type tool. What do you want to do? It can be done with the type tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for the replies!

I made a little progress and see the ATT is no longer included in toolbar and that other options exist for filling object paths with text.

Nevertheless, I tried to make (for example) a simple triangle with the line type tool - grouped the lines to make the object and then tried to to get text to fit inside of object using area type tool/text options in drop down. I was unable to do this for a few reasons, but before I explain full steps maybe someone can give me a few more tips/pointers, etc?

Also, I was unable to search for the help on this through forum/support/help - unless I simply overlooked.

I have only used previous versions of Illustrator that had the ATT in the toolbar.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 lines don't give you a triangle. You need to join those lines.

Object > Path > Join

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understand that - I did join but am still having trouble getting a line(s) of text to follow the interior dimensions of the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you prefer to use the Line tool, make sure that you joined all 3 points (but better way is to use Pen tool, 3 clicks will give you a closed triangle). Then take Text tool and hover the triangle edge. Tool cursor will change to "rounded cursor". Click and tape your text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really clear what your objectives are, but in any case:

surveillanceame  wrote

It's in your current version too. Click the 3 dots at the bottom of the Tools bar , then the panel menu at the top-right of the resulting fly-out, and choose Advanced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

My objective is to fill a triangle shape with text like the below example:

Capture.JPG

I think I can figure it out from here. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick Tip to Create Triangle vs. Using lines and joining

Select the Polygon tool.

Click on the Art board and enter the number of sides — for example, type 3 to create a triangle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try change your workspace to Essentials Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines